If you are interested in education in the Health Professions, SHE has introduced several Certificate Courses in Health Professions Education. Certificate Courses offer students the opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills related to major topics in health professions education. Each course has specific aims and subjects that will be covered. The Certificate Courses help you to apply evidence-based educational strategies in your own work and context. They also provide an excellent preparation for the Master of Health Professions Education, a manner to ‘dip your toe in’. All our Certificate Courses are equivalent to specific sections of our Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE). This means that students who have obtained a certificate for one or more of these courses and later enroll in the MHPE may skip the corresponding sections of this programme. Thus, by taking individual Certificate Courses, you can get a taste of our MHPE programme at the same time.
Our Certificate Courses are taught fully online, with little to no synchronous activities, to fit optimally in the working schedule of the professionals taking part in these courses. You will have a ‘mentor’, who will help guide you on how to navigate the course and, at the same time, try to motivate you and help you with the online learning process. We wish to share our knowledge and are satisfied when you reap the rewards of it in your own work environment.
These courses are 100% online. We revisited the certificate courses and aligned them with the new MHPE curriculum. For this reason, the aligned courses will start in October and in December.
We provide two Certificate Courses:
You can select one or both online courses fitting your personal career challenges and field of interest within health professions education.
During the study process, you will receive personal guidance from the coordinator. Do keep in mind that as these are online programmes, you will mostly only speak to the coordinator – there are no collaborative tasks integrated in the Certificate Courses.
The two Certificate Courses correspond to equivalent sections of the MHPE.
Excellent preparation for our Master of Health Professions Education.
Doable within 9 weeks, as long as you make sure to plan about 20 hours per week for studying, for the duration of the course. Worth 6 ECTS, equaling 168 study hours.
Guidance from excellent staff.
The Certificate Courses are designed for you if you have already obtained a bachelor's or master's degree and wish to deepen your insight into the course topics, but prefer not to complete the entire research-based MHPE programme (or not yet). The Certificate Courses are geared towards participants who work in the field of medical education and have expertise in teaching, such as:
skills lab coordinators
researchers of Dutch universities of applied sciences (HBO lectoraat)
Please note: no additional evidence of sufficient command of the English language is required from applicants who:
- Are native speakers of the English language.
- Have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science at a Dutch or Flemish university or professional education programme.
- Have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science at a university or professional education programme in one of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
All other non-native speaking applicants should enclose a copy of an IELTS test (International English Language Testing System (IELTS), TOEFL Test (Test of English as a 4 Foreign Language (TOEFL IBT Test), or Cambridge test that is no older than 5 years at the start of the programme.
- Applicants must submit an average IELTS score of at least 6.5 or higher and the score on each component (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) should be equal to 6 or higher.
- The total TOEFL score should be at least 90 (out of 120) and a minimum of 20 for each component (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) is required.
- The Cambridge test score should be: CAE, grade C.
The possibility to enroll for the Master of Health Professions Education
The Certificate Courses offer an attractive opportunity to enroll in the MHPE programme via an alternative pathway. More specifically, by taking one or more Certificate Courses, you can be exempted from the equivalent sections of the Maastricht University MHPE programme.
This exemption affords students the opportunity to enroll in our MHPE programme at Maastricht University within two years. To be exempted from a section of the MHPE programme, the Certificate Courses must have been successfully completed.*
*The two Certificate Courses correspond to equivalent sections of the MHPE programme. For each section that you have already successfully completed by taking a Certificate Course, you will receive a discount, provided you are admitted to the MHPE programme.
Key features of the Certificate Courses
- Guidance and tailor-made advice on your study progression and task-completion by the Certificate Courses Coordinator through Zoom
- Opportunity to develop your own skills in Health Professions Education while applying evidence-based practice & research to your own context and work
- Scientific approach: you will study theories and (learn to) apply these to your work and in your own context
- Coverage of innovative themes within Health Professions Education
- Flexible learning; work at your own pace within overall course time limits
- Online learning, incorporating the latest learning tools
- Access to the online library of Maastricht University
- Learning through the Maastricht University approach: self-directed and goal-directed learning
- Constructivist, collaborative and context-driven teaching method
- Feedback from experts in the field
Esther Heuts MD, the Netherlands, Oncological Surgeon and Assistant Professor, Maastricht University Medical Centre MUMC+
'The certificate course gave me the opportunity to see if the course met my expectations with respect to the content, time management and online learning.'