Mission & strategy
Maastricht University (UM) is a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative education and research strategies. We see ourselves first and foremost as an open and inclusive academic community, striving for a good mix between Dutch, European and other international students, and addressing European and global issues in our education and research programmes.
UM's mission and strategy for the future are built on four core values:
- To be an innovator in education and research by introducing the CORE philosophy at our university;
- To adopt an inclusive approach and to open our doors to all students and staff who fit with our profile and subscribe to our values;
- To take our social responsibility seriously by linking the university to society, from the local to the global level;
- To be a sustainable institution in the broadest sense.
CORE stands for: Collaborative Open Research Education.
- Collaborative: education and research are best organised in teams rather than individually
- Open: being open minded and inclusive
- Research Education is about the integration of research and education
In 2011, the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science made performance agreements with all Dutch universities and universities of applied science on the themes educational quality/excellence, graduation rates, quality of lecturers and teaching intensity. The institutions also laid out their plans with regard to the themes overhead and valorisation.
Read UM's Proposal for Performance Agreements 2013-2016 (in Dutch only).
Results performance agreements
The results of the relevant performance agreements can be found in the annual reports (in Dutch only). Results from previous years suggest that UM is on track to meet its targets.