SHE Summer Course
“Renewed and innovated by the latest insights in health professions education, our Summer Course is the first inspiring and international encounter with SHE. This experience fuels ambitions to become a health professions educationalist.” - Dominique Waterval, PhD (Course Coordinator)
In this course, we share many years of theoretical and practical experience in designing, managing and assessing learning in student centred curricula as implemented by the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of Maastricht University. The programme offers an introduction and global overview of the principal components and characteristics of the Maastricht approach to student centred education and in particular, how to design, implement and assess in a student centred curriculum. Participants will be introduced to PBL (Problem-based learning) as the core example of student-centered learning, as well as alternative working formats (e.g. team-based learning, flipped classroom and the four components instructional design model (4C/ID-model)).
Watch the recap of the SHE Summer Course 2023
At the end of the course, you will…
- Understand the underlying theories and principles of student centered learning.
- Become familiar with the evidence behind these learning principles
- Understand the principles and implementation of PBL at FHML, Maastricht University.
- Translate learning principles into the design of new educational materials/activities and applying them to your own context
- Manage your educational activities/role of tutor (critical incidents)
- List alternative educational formats of student centered education besides problem-based learning such as team-based learning and the four components instructional design model (4C/ID-model)
- Understand the philosophy behind programmatic assessment
- Network and get acquainted with professionals all over the world who share similar ambitions.
- Understand the principles of governing a student centered curriculum
Participant's ideal profile
- Has experience in student-centred curricula, such as PBL as either a teacher, mentor, lecturer etc. (but is not needed)
- Likes to develop a deeper insight in the rationale of student-centered learning, more specifically PBL.
- Likes to learn how to build and manage student centred learning materials, such as cases, assignments, skillslab sessions, portfolios.
- is aware of the important alignment between student centred education and (programmatic) assessment.
Also, for participants who are relatively unknown in the field of research in medical education, but would like to deepen their knowledge. You will have many opportunities to share your own experiences and questions in interactive sessions with experts in the educational field of SHE and related innovative educational approaches, and to discuss experiences of students and staff.
Student centred learning at Maastricht University
The Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of Maastricht University was, after McMaster University in Canada, the second university in the world to implement PBL as the dominant student-centered educational strategy in medical education. In addition to its long-lasting experience with PBL, Maastricht University has always been eager to further develop this educational method. To get a first impression of PBL, Watch the video on Maastricht University PBL.
Innovative educational approaches SHE leads
The SHE Summer Course has been innovated and further developed just like the Maastricht educational model did in the past 40 years. The course is for many participants the first encounter with SHE, and in many cases a stepping stone to other SHE certificate and advanced courses, a Master of Health Professions Education or a PhD programme. It offers the perfect opportunity to become acquainted with the SHE continuum of training activities in health professions education, to specialise and to become educated towards different degrees within health professions education.
You will be provided with many opportunities to share your ideas, discuss problems and elaborate on questions in interactive sessions with experts in the educational field of SHE and related innovative educational approaches and to discuss experiences of students and staff.
Interactive and innovative
Preparatory Assignment and Introduction (online)
In order to align the entry level of participants, participants will receive a preparatory assignment upon registration (e.g. preparatory materials and assignment). This assignment links to video material, literature and some questions to prepare related to the topic of PBL.
Programme overview onsite - Monday-Friday
Modern learning principles
- Introduction, Interactive sessions: PBL and preparatory assignment
- Group work: Modern Learning Principles (including group assessment)
Design and implementation in a Student Centred Curriculum
- Interactive session: Group assignment on modern learning principles
- Workshop on translating learning principles to concrete behaviour
- Social Activity
- Group work: Building a student centred curriculum
Designing and implementing student centered education
- Interactive session: Translating learning principles in creative educational formats
- Individual work
- Becoming familiar with other forms of student centered education besides problem-based learning such as team-based learning and the four components instructional design model (4C/ID-model)
Design of assessment programmes
- Interactive session: Understand the philosophy behind programmatic assessment
- Group work: Translate the principles of programmatic assessment into own assessment programme
Governance in a Student Centred Curriculum
- Tailor-made options to experience the Maastricht University's learning environment by site visits either in the clinic or at the Skillslab of FHML.
- Sharing of experiences on the management and organization of student centred curricula
- Plenary: Wrap-up, evaluation and certification.