Central PhD Candidates Platform
The Central PhD Candidates Platform (CPCP) is a UM-wide platform that discusses interfaculty and (inter)national issues that concern PhD candidates. This includes topics such as workload, contractual and other statuses, teaching duties, psychological health and the duration of PhD tracks.
- identifying and addressing UM-wide issues for PhD candidates
- exchanging PhD experiences and best practices across faculties
- collaborating with various organs such as Academic Affairs, the University Council, PhD Academy, Graduate Schools, etc.
- providing solicited and unsolicited advice to the Executive Board, with a particular focus on PhD matters
- disseminating CPCP discussion items, decisions, etc. to faculty PhD representatives and Graduate Schools
- representing PhD candidates from Maastricht University in the Promovendi Netwerk Nederland (PNN*).
* PNN is the national organisation that represents the interests of PhD candidates who work at Dutch universities, University Medical Centers or research centers. PNN discusses possible issues and PhD policy with local PhD councils.
How does it work?
The platform consists of six representatives; one PhD candidate from each faculty. They have taken up the official role of representing PhD candidates within their faculty.
CPCP representatives meet at least 4 times per year, with additional ad hoc meetings when required. Decisions are made on a consensus basis; however, email correspondence may be used for expediting minor or urgent decisions. The meetings are open to all PhD candidates and interested parties provided there are no confidential items to discuss. Please send an e-mail to phdplatform[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl to inquire after the agenda for the next meeting.
The chair and secretary for these meetings rotate on a per-meeting basis. If you have questions, want to participate, or bring an issue to the attention of the platform, you can always contact the CPCP by sending an e-mail to: phdplatform[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl.
The agenda and minutes of CPCP meetings can be accessed through MyUM.