Logistics & safety

Before your departure, it is important that you are aware of the UM guidelines for study-related travel and that you know what to do in case of an emergency during your stay abroad. Below you will find more information regarding these topics.

UM guidelines for study-related travel

Based on its duty of care for its students, UM makes every effort to make these study-related trips abroad as safe as possible. This includes, guided by the Dutch government's travel advice, avoiding travel to risk areas.

A risk area is an area where there is an increased security risk. This could be due to, for example, the political situation, threat of terrorism, crime or natural disasters. To determine risk areas, UM follows the travel advice of the Dutch government (i.e. the Ministry of Foreign Affairs). The travel advice is linked by the government to a colour code (green, yellow, orange, red) and is continuously updated. The colour code indicates how safe a country or area is.

Green No particular security risks
Yellow Be aware: there are security risks
Orange Only travel when necessary
Red Do not travel

A study-related trip abroad may only proceed if, at the time of departure, the destination has a colour code green or yellow travel advice. If a student does travel unauthorised to a risk area (colour code orange or red), the Board of Examiners may decide not to award the respective credits and/or faculty scholarship.

Travelling to risk areas during your stay abroad

If the student decides to travel from the country/area where the host institution is located to a risk area to which a colour code orange or red is applicable, the trip is considered a private trip and the student bears full responsibility for her/his own safety.

Travel advice by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The travel advice of the Dutch government can be found on the website or the travel app of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Dutch only; if you do not understand Dutch, look at the colour code assigned to your host country/area.). We advise Dutch nationals to register their stay abroad at the ‘24/7 BZ’ information service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In this way, the ministry will inform you about changes regarding the travel advice and will provide you with information in case of a crisis situation abroad.

Students are also advised to take note of the checklist for travelling abroad (available in English) offered by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Please note: we advise non-Dutch students to check whether similar information services are available on the website of the applicable Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in case of deviations, the travel advice issued by the Dutch government always prevails). For instance,

In case of emergency

In case of a medical emergency, you are advised to seek care at the nearest medical facility. If you do not know where this is, or if follow-up and support services are needed, contact your health insurance provider.

In case of a criminal event, such as theft of bankcard or passport, students are advised to go to the local police, as per the advice of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In case of a sudden change in the security situation – due to a natural disaster or a political type of event, such as civil unrest or a terrorist attack – students should contact their embassy as soon as possible and reach out to their travel insurance. Students with an EU nationality can also contact an embassy of another EU member state. Students should also inform the relevant International Relations Office or Internship Office of their situation as soon as possible.

Students are obliged to follow any directions and/or instructions given by UM. These instructions may include that the student must leave the area/country. If repatriation is necessary, the costs should be covered in the first instance by the student’s travel insurance.

Emergency numbers (24/7 availability):

  • Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs: +31 247 247 247
  • Maastricht University: +31 43 388 4444


Roadmap for emergencies abroad:

  • Step 1: Student reports to his/her embassy in the host country and seeks expert assistance through travel insurance;
  • Step 2: Student informs his/her International Relations Office or Internship Office of the situation and discusses whether travelling back is necessary and possible;
  • Step 3: The International Relations Office or Internship Office, where appropriate, informs the Faculty Board and the UM spokesperson of the emergency and, in consultation with the UM Integral Safety Coordinator, initiates the necessary actions towards the student and homebound students. The UM spokesperson informs the UM Executive Board.


Write down important addresses and telephone numbers and give these to those staying at home.

Make copies of important documents (passport, driver's license, proof of registration at the host university, diplomas, tickets, bank cards, insurance policies/health care insurance policy card, proof of vaccination, medical statement).