The group Biobased polymers explores both the synthesis of the building blocks through (bio)organic chemical methods, as well as their incorporation into polymer materials. New properties of new materials are being investigated for possible further development towards targeted applications.
- Main research focus is on the design of polymer materials with tunable properties exploiting the functionality of biobased building blocks.
- This is enabled by the synthesis of new functional (co)polymers with a variety of architectures (homopolymers, block copolymers, graft copolymers, random copolymers) via different chemistries (organic chemistry, controlled or free radical polymerisation, ring-opening polymerisation, cationic polymerisation, step-growth polymerizsation, polymer modification, or a combination of them)
- and the study of their structure-property relationships in several fields of application e.g. stimuli-responsive polymers, coatings, fibres, engineering plastics, hydrogels.
- Growing focus on the use of artificial intelligence techniques to support the experimental work, e.g. data interpretation and prediction of structure-property relationships.
This project aims to contribute to a more sustainable world. On the one hand, we will develop polymers that have the same properties as the widespread water-soluble polymer polyacrylic acid, but have the great advantage that they are both bio-based and biodegradable, characteristics that polyacrylic acid does not yet meet.
- Master Biobased Materials: Polysaccharides
- Maastricht Science Programme: Organic Chemistry skills (PRA2002)
- Master Biobased Materials: Macromolecular chemistry: Biopolymers synthesis, modification and characterization (BBM1007)
- Master Biobased Materials: Surfaces and Interfaces: Modification and Spectroscopical Analysis (BBM1011)
- Supervision of bachelor thesis projects, Maastricht Science Programme
- Supervision of master thesis projects, master Biobased Materials
- Supervision of bachelor project periods, Maastricht Science Program
- Supervision of master projects periods, master Biobased Materials
- Member Educational Program Committee master Biobased Materials
|Andrij Pich, Professor (PI)|
|Katrien Bernaerts, Associate Professor|
|Marcin Sleczkowski, PostDoc|
|Yawen Yao, PostDoc|
|Jonas Winters, PostDoc|
|Nick Sijstermans, Researcher|
|Jules Stouten, PhD|
|Enzo Pichon, PhD|
|Sofiya Vynnytska, PhD|
|Jian Liu, External PhD (CSC)|
|Hongjuan Weng, External PhD (CSC)|
|Nattiya Laiwattanapaisarn, External PhD|
|Fang Zhou, External PhD (ChemStream)|
|Monica Jedrzejczyk, External PhD (Vertoro)|
|Vahid Ansari, External PhD|
|Andrea Calore, External PhD|
|Hans Smeets, Lab technician|