Yf Reykers (Y.)
Yf Reykers is Assistant Professor in International Relations (tenured) at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Maastricht University. Previously, he was a postdoctoral researcher at the Leuven International and European Studies Institute at KU Leuven, where he also obtained his PhD in 2017. He was a visiting scholar at New York University and at Aarhus University. He is currently also Associate Editor of the journal Contemporary Security Policy and co-Principal Investigator of the project “Ad hoc crisis response and international organisations (ADHOCISM)”, which is funded by a grant (2021-2025) from the Research Council of Norway.
Yf studies issues relating to European security and defence policy, with a particular interest in the politics of multinational military operations, rapid response, and questions of accountability. He has a genuine interest in qualitative case-oriented research methods, and process-tracing in particular. He teaches courses on International Relations and case study methods in the BA, MA and Research Master European Studies.
His work has been published in, amongst others, Cooperation and Conflict, Contemporary Security Policy, European Security, International Peacekeeping, Journal of European Integration, Parliamentary Affairs and Third World Quarterly. He is co-editor of the volume ‘Multinational Rapid Response Mechanisms: From Institutional Proliferation to Institutional Exploitation’ (2019, Routledge Global Institutions Series).
- European security and defence policy
- multinational rapid response
- democratic accountability of armed forces
- inter-organisational relations
- 2018-current: Assistant Professor, Maastricht University, Netherlands
- 2017-2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, KU Leuven, Belgium
- 2013-2017: PhD Fellow, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO-Vlaanderen), KU Leuven, Belgium
- 2011-2013: Teaching Assistant, KU Leuven, Belgium