Support from the UM 'Profileringsfonds' for top-level sports
Studying in Maastricht and competing in sports on a high level could lead to a variety of problems. To ensure that the one (your study) will not suffer from the other (sports) we provide support to top athletes within the opportunities given by the study system of Maastricht. This support will be given individually and will be tailored to the specific situation of each athlete.
Some things to keep in mind
- You must have a statement from Limburg Sport stating that you belong to one of the following categories based on the national criteria laid down by the national sports federation NOC*NSF: A, Selection, International Talent, National Talent, Belofte, Bond, Regional Status 1.
- Are you an international student and do not receive Dutch student finance because of your nationality? Then you may still be eligible for financial support from the UM 'Profileringsfonds'. A statement from Limburg Sport must demonstrate that you practice top-level sports at a level comparable to RS1.
- Depending on your top-level sports status, you receive financial support for a maximum of 3 or 5 months per academic year with a maximum of 18 months over all years you are registered at the UM.
You are not eligible for support from the UM 'Profileringsfonds' if you are entitled to other forms of financial support because of your top-level sports.
Conditions and regulations
To be eligible for the Regulation UM 'Profileringsfonds' you have to meet the following criteria:
you are registered as a full-time student and
you have a top-level sports status RS1 or higher and
you are entitled to a performance-related higher education grant or practice top-level sports in the first 12 months after the end of the period in which you were entitled to a performance grant or
as an international top-level sports student: practice top-level sports in the nominal study duration or in the first 12 months thereafter
Regulation 'Profileringsfonds' 2022/23
Regulation 'Profileringsfonds' 2021/22
Regulation ‘Profileringsfonds’ 2020/21
Regulation 'Profileringsfonds' 2019/20
Regulation 'Profileringsfonds' 2018/19
Application procedure for financial support
You need to register as a top athlete with Limburg Sport before 1 October of the academic year in which you need support. After receiving a top-level sports status, you can register yourself as a top athlete at UM via the online registration form.
If you have any questions, you can send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a registered as a UM top athlete, you will receive the application form from the Topsport coordinator UM Sport by email at the end of March. Are you not registered as a top athlete but do you still think you qualify for this support? Request an application form UM 'Profileringsfonds' via email@example.com.
The application period runs from April 1 to May 31. Submit your application to the UM 'Profileringsfonds' Secretariat before June 1 of the current academic year via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send the following documents along with your application:
- a copy of your sports talent pass, or for the international top athletes, the email from Limburg Sport stating the top-level sport status you have been awarded
- an overview of results obtained in the academic year of your application
- a copy of the DUO message with information about student finance received in the academic year of your application (if applicable)
- a (medical) statement if you suffered an injury, illness or other personal circumstances during the academic year of your application (if applicable)
- an overview showing the description and / or the amount of the financial support in the academic year of your application (if applicable)
Decision on financial support
Within eight weeks after submitting your application, you will receive a written answer from the director of the Student Services Centre.