Financial support UM Profileringsfonds in case of study delay due to top-level sports
UM students who are registered top-athletes may be eligible for financial support from the Profileringsfonds for additional study costs due to study delays.
Please note: with effect from academic year 2023-2024, the conditions and rules have changed.
Conditions and regulations
- You are enrolled as a full-time UM student in a bachelor's or initial master's programme.
- In case of study delay in a bachelor's programme: you have not yet been enrolled at UM for longer than the nominal duration of the bachelor's programme you are following (3 academic years).
- In case of study delay in an initial master's programme: you have not yet been enrolled at UM for longer than the nominal duration of the master's programme you are following (ranging from 1 to 4 academic years).
- You have top-level sports status: A, Selection, International Talent, National Talent, Belofte, Bond, Region Status 1 or Q1 and have been active as a top- athlete in the academic year in which you are delayed in your studies.
- You have incurred a study delay of at least five ECTS.
- You must submit your application in time: within six months and no later than 1 March after the end of the academic year in which you incurred a study delay (if you graduate or cease your studies earlier, the application must have been submitted at least two months before de-enrollment).
You are not eligible for support from the UM Profileringsfonds if you are entitled to other forms of financial support because of your top-level sports status.
Assistance needed or questions?
Please contact the Secretariat Profileringsfonds via email: email@example.com
To be eligible for financial support, a top-level sports status is required. UM works with Coöperatie Limburg Sport to provide this status. After receiving top-level sports status, register with UM as a top-athlete via the online registration form. You can only complete this step if you are enrolled in a programme at UM.
More information on applying for top-level sports status with Coöperatie Limburg Sport and registering with UM as a top-athlete can be found on the UM website: Topsport - Maastricht University
If you need help with this or have any questions, please send an email to the Topsport coordinator UM Sport: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application for financial support can be submitted after the end of the academic year in which the study delay occurred. Only then can it be determined how big your study delay has become. Submit the application form to the Student Service Centre (SSC) via the Secretariat Profileringsfonds: email@example.com.
If an injury, illness or other personal circumstances occurred during the academic year of your application, you will need to enclose a (medical) statement.
Have you experienced study delays due to top-level sports in the academic year 2023-2024? Download the UM Profileringsfonds application form.
Your application must be submitted no later than six months after the end of the academic year in which you have incurred study delay. So always before 1 March following the delayed academic year and in any case at least two months before you deregister from UM, as you must be registered as a full-time student at UM at the time of payment.
The Director of the Student Services Centre will decide on your application after advice from the student dean.
Depending on your top-level sports status and the study delay incurred, you may be eligible for a maximum of three or five months of financial support (€345,50 per month) per academic year and in total over several years that you are enrolled at UM, up to a maximum of 12 months.
Your application will be rejected if you do not meet the general conditions for being eligible for financial support from the UM Profileringsfondsregeling, or, for example, because the study delay amounts to less than 5 ECTS.
Within eight weeks, you will receive a written response to your Profileringsfonds application from the director of Student Services Centre.