Support from UM 'Profileringsfonds' for top-level sports
Studying in Maastricht and competing in sports on a high level could lead to a variety of problems. To ensure that the one (your study) will not suffer from the other (sports) we provide support to top athletes within the opportunities given by the study system of Maastricht. This support will be given individually and will be tailored to the specific situation of each athlete.
Support for top-level sports may consist of:
- study support, such as an adapted the study programme in as far as there are possibilities within the faculty
- more general support, such as training facilities (Gym membership of UM SPORTS) or mediation for appropriate accommodation
Note: The type of support provided depends on prior evaluation of the situation. The evaluation does not only concern the student athlete's situation. An adaptation of the study programme will always have to be practicable and reasonable. The Regulation Profileringsfonds Students UM lists number of criteria for financial support.
The sooner these matters are discussed the better. This will allow us to to look for proper solutions.
Read more about the regulations "Profileringsfonds Students 2019/20"
Who is eligible?
The financial facilities vary for different levels of top-level sport. Maastricht University determines the level of financial support based on advice from NOC*NSF or the Olympic Service Office.
Road map to apply for top-level sports support for a new student of Maastricht University:
- Are you a new student at Maastricht University and do you not have a topsport pass/status yet? Make sure you register at Topsport Limburg to apply for a pass/status. You can do this via their website: www.topsportlimburg.nl .
If you already have a topsport pass/status, you can immediately go to step 2 > “application topsport acknowledgement”.
- After you have registered and you have received your topsport pass/status, you can fill out the application procedure and send this to umtopsports[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl citing “aanvraag topsport erkenning”. If you already have questions before this point, you can also send them to this email address.
- The UM Topsport coordinator will answer your questions and will forward other questions to your study adviser, the coordinator of the Regulation Profileringsfonds UM or Maastrichthousing.
In April all top athletes who are registered at UM SPORTS will receive an email with the application form top-level sport. The completed form has to be send back with the requested proof (recent message of DUO, copy of your topsports status) before 31 May. This has to be send by post or delivered in person to:
Student Services Centre
Secretary Regeling Profileringsfonds UM
PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht
Tasks of the study adviser
The study adviser at your faculty can help you to look at the options for adapting your study programme. Would you like to know who is the study adviser at your faculty? Go to the 'Study advisers UM'-page.
Regulations Profileringsfonds Students UM
The financial facilities vary for different levels of top-level sport. Top athletes who are classified in the highest level, the A-status, will usually be eligible for a scholarship provided by the NOC*NSF.
To be eligible for the Regulation Profileringsfonds you have to meet the following criteria:
- full-time UM Student (Article 4)
- top-level sport status as laid down in Article 10 and more specifically annex 2, Article 1.2
- receiving a student grant or a foreign student who is during his nominal number of years a top athlete (Article 4 and Article 1.2, annex 2)
- follow the application procedure and deliver requested information timely
The financial support has a fixed upper limit of 3 or 5 months per year.
Would you like help in finding suitable housing? Please contact maastrichthousing .
Roadmap for recognised top athletes at Maastricht University
- Do you have any questions regarding support for top sports for the coming academic year, please send them to umtopsports[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl. The UM Topsports coordinator will answer your questions as soon as possible and will forward other questions to the study adviser of your faculty or the coordinator Regulation Profileringsfonds Students UM.
- In April all top athletes who are registered at UM SPORTS will receive an email with the request form. The completed form has to be sent back with the requested proof (recent message of DUO, copy of your topsports status) before 31 May. This has to be sent to Student Services Centre – Secretary Regeling Profileringsfonds UM, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht.
The application procedure is per academic year and will be as follows:
All top athletes that are registered at UM SPORTS will receive and email in April with the application form. Documentary evidence (a recent message from DUO and a copy of the top-level sport status) together with the filled out application form must be handed in before 31 May of the academic year to:
Student Services Centre
PO Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht