Jan-Frieder Harmsen (J.F.)
Frieder started his academic career in 2012 at the German Sport University (GSU) Cologne, where he studied the B.Sc. Sport and Performance. After completing his Bachelor degree, he worked as a therapist in a rehabilitation and sports therapy clinic. At the same time, he was involved in collaborative research projects between the University Hospital Duesseldorf and the GSU with a focus on skeletal muscle physiology. He was thereby able to contribute to several peer-reviewed articles. In 2016, he began to study the Master program Exercise Science & Coaching at the GSU. During his Master, Frieder did an internship within the School of Medical and Health Sciences at Edith Cowan University in Perth (Australia), where he conducted his own study to collect data for his Master thesis.
- Effects of bright light on glucose metabolism
- Lipidomics in muscle biopsies from pre-diabetic men
- Harmsen, J.-F., Franz, A., Mayer, C., Zilkens, C., Buhren, B. A., Schrumpf, H., . . . Behringer, M. (2018). Tensiomyography parameters and serum biomarkers after eccentric exercise of the elbow flexors. European Journal of Applied Physiology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-4043-4
- Franz, A., Behringer, M., Harmsen, J.-F., Mayer, C., Krauspe, R., Zilkens, C., & Schumann, M. (2018). Ischemic Preconditioning Blunts Muscle Damage Responses Induced by Eccentric Exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 50(1), 109–115. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000001406
- Franz, A., Joseph, L., Mayer, C., Harmsen, J.-F., Schrumpf, H., Fröbel, J., Ostapczuk, M. S., Krauspe, R., & Zilkens, C. (2018). The role of oxidative and nitrosative stress in the pathology of osteoarthritis: Novel candidate biomarkers for quantification of degenerative changes in the knee joint. Orthopedic Reviews, 10(2), 7460. https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2018.7460
- Harmsen, J.-F., Sistig, A., Erb, N., & Behringer, M. (2018): Flüssigkeit und Elektrolyte oder Nervensystem – wo liegt die Ursache für Muskelkrämpfe? Deutsche Zeitschrift für Leistungssport, 48(1).
- Behringer, M., Harmsen, J.-F., Fasse, A., & Mester, J. (2017). Effects of Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation on the Frequency of Skeletal Muscle Cramps: A Prospective Controlled Clinical Trial. Neuromodulation: Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1111/ner.12728
- Mayer, C., Franz, A., Harmsen, J.-F., Queitsch, F., Behringer, M., Beckmann, J., Krauspe, R., & Zilkens, C. (2017). Soft-tissue damage during total knee arthroplasty: Focus on tourniquet-induced metabolic and ionic muscle impairment. Journal of Orthopaedics, 14(3), 347–353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2017.06.015