Biomedicine and Biophysics double degree programme
The Biomedicine and Biophysics double degree programme is carried out by Maastricht University’s Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences in cooperation with Tomsk State University (TSU, Russia). It is a two-year full-time programme taught in English, with a total of 120 ECTS and 26 extra curricular ECTS. Students are selected through a selection procedure. The deadline for final application is 1 June 2017.
The programme aims for adventurous students who are motivated to work hard in interdisciplinary fields of science. All students will spend the first year at TSU and then transfer to Maastricht University for their second academic year. This has the power to create a network between the students, with the potency of lifetime collaboration and exchange of scientific progression in the field of biophysical medicine. The Biomedicine and Biophysics double degree programme will opt for a multi- and interdisciplinary approach and a variety of teaching methods in the form of task-, problem- and project-based learning, lecture-based and practical work, all aimed at increasing student responsibility, independence and competences as the programme progresses.
Why choose this double degree programme?
- you obtain two Master of Science degrees in considerably less time than it would take to earn them separately: Master of Biomedical Sciences (UM) and Master of Physics (TSU)
- you experience “best of both worlds” synergy, as each university adds its own specialty: biophysics at TSU and biomedical research at UM
- you'll experience collaborative learning with students from TSU
- you'll experience a different culture and teaching approach, and gain greater perspective in addressing international issues
- potential employers highly value your international experience
- you'll be working at the crossroads of physics and biomedicine, using state-of-the art equipment and information technologies to solve engineering problems in biomedicine
Curriculum Biomedicine and Biophysics double degree programme
Semester 1 in Tomsk
Philosophic issues of natural science
Special physics practice
Current methodology and innovative research in diagnosis,
prevention and therapy of disease
Methods of measurement and control in biomedicine
Data acquisition and processing systems in biomedicine
Computing in biomedicine
Research practice (manufacturing practice)
Semester 2 in Tomsk
Special physics practice
Molecular basis of health and pathologies
High performance computing in biomedicine
Safety of microbiological study
Animal models in research
Data analysis in biomedicine
Laser methods in biomedicine
Оptical methods in biomedicine
Course Research practice (manufacturing practice)
Semester 3 and 4 in Maastricht
Mechanisms in health and disease
Physics methods and information technologies in biomedicine
Modern approaches in diagnosis and therapy
Designing scientific research
Thesis and poster presentation
Senior practical training internship
Criteria for admission:
Academic background and performance
- A university bachelor’s degree in the fields of Clinical Technology, Biomedical Technology, Technical Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Sciences, Physics, Biology, Medicine, Computer Sciences, Biotechnology, Life Sciences, or Medical Natural Sciences
- A bachelor’s degree from a University of Applied Sciences in the fields of Biological and Medical Laboratory Research, Biotechnology, or Applied Sciences
You are eligible to apply for the Biomedicine and Biophysics double degree programme if you have a valid registration for the master’s programme in Biomedical Sciences at Maastricht University (UM) and the master’s programme in Physics Methods and Informational Technologies in Biomedicine at Tomsk State University (TSU). The tuition fee will be paid for two years at the university of enrolment, being either UM or TSU.
English language skills
Sufficient command of the English language is required: Language requirements
You need to send a motivation letter. Deadline: 1 May, 2017. Based on this motivation letter an invitation for an interview will follow in May. Final decision is before 1 June, 2017.
Log on to the My UM portal using your personal student number/ID and password.
Click the button ‘Upload Documents’ in the menu at the left. The tics next to the documents show whether you have uploaded the documents successfully.
Please note: You can upload more documents under the same heading (e.g. two transcripts).
The following documents must be uploaded in the My UM portal before the application deadline. Please note that only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of your (bachelor’s) diploma, including diploma supplement. If you have not completed your bachelor’s yet, you can upload your degree later.
Please note: in order to be admitted to the master’s programme, you must have completed your bachelor’s before 1 September 2017.
- List of grades (including an official translation into English if not provided in Dutch or German)
- Copy of your IELTS/TOEFL results (if applicable)
- Copy of your passport (valid on 1 September 2017)
- Passport picture
- Application form Double Degree Programme TOMA (ONLY required if you are applying for the Double Degree Programme with Tomsk University)
Please note: If you hold a Maastricht University bachelor’s degree, you do not have to upload the above-mentioned documents. However, please make sure that the passport you uploaded for your bachelor’s application is valid until 1 September 2017. If it is not, you need to upload a new passport.
Admission is furthermore based on the result of the entrance examination in Physics at TSU in August 2017. Start date of the programme is September 2017.
If you're interested in the programme, please send an email to n.senden[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl. An invitation for an interview will follow.
- 1 June 2017: final date for registration for the Double Degree Programme (DDP)
- June 2017: final date for admittance to the DDP
- June 2017: arrange all documents, registration and visa for starting at TSU
- July – August 2017: prepare for the Physics entrance examination at TSU
- Mid August: Entrance examination Physics (online)
- 1 September 2017: start of the programme at TSU