Prof Dr R.P.M. Kemp
I am professor of innovation and sustainable development at ICIS and professorial fellow of UNU-MERIT in Maastricht. I am a critical methodological pluralist interested in the link between micro dynamics and macro dynamics and system change towards sustainablity. I have a background in (environmental) economics and innovation studies, but a good understanding of many other fields (including the sociology of knowledge, institutonal theory, governance and political economy). With 25855 citations in Google Scholar and an h-index of 66 I am one of the most cited eco-innovation researchers in the world. In recent years I developed a strong interest in the humanisation of the economy, based on work that fits with immaterial needs for autonomy, relatedness and being proud of the activities that you do. Such practices are more likely to be found in organisations with an active concern for the well-being of others and the natural environment.
I am an expert of sustainability transitions, a field which I helped to establish. For the Dutch government I developed the model of transition management together with Jan Rotmans. A publication based on this became a foundational paper for sustainability transition studies which have been established in its aftermath. I am also an expert of knowledge production, multi-method analysis, the circular economy and societal innovation. The last five years, I have worked on the circular economy, urban labs, social innovation and multiple value creation.
Professional career history
- 1987 – 1988 Researcher at Faculty of Economics and Business Administration of UM.
- 1987 – 1998 Researcher at MERIT
- 1997 – 1998 Postdoc researcher at University of Twente
- 1997 Visiting fellow at IPTS in Seville (Spain)
- 1998 –2009 Senior research fellow at MERIT
- 2001 Scientific director of STEP in Oslo (Norway) (half time)
- 2002 Visiting researcher at Harvard (US) and Foscari University in Venice (Italy)
- 2002 – 2005 Senior Advisor of TNO-STB (NL) (one day a week)
- 2005 – 2009 Senior researcher at DRIFT (Dutch Research Institute for Transitions), Erasmus University Rotterdam (NL) (2 days a week, from June 2008 on 1 day a week)
- 2005 – 2009 Senior researcher at ICIS (International Center of Integrated Assessment and Sustainable Development) of Maastricht University (NL) (from June 2009 on for 2.5 day a week)
- 2006 Visiting researcher at SPRU (UK)
- 2007 Visiting researcher at CIRUS (Switzerland)
- 2009 – present Professor of innovation and sustainable development at ICIS and professorial fellow UNU-MERIT
- 2014 – 2015 Visiting professor at AIRC, Australia