The Making of European Security Policy: Challenges for the Future
This conference is anticipating the publication entitled The making of European Security Policy: Challenges for the Future. It marks the academic legacy of the late Simon Duke and brings together chapters authored by a group of close collaborators of this respected scholar, colleague and friend of many of us at Maastricht University.
This page is updated post-event with slides, final programme, photos, reports etc.
Please click here to download the full conference report in pdf format.
The conference hosted thirty-five academics, officials and diplomats from Member States and from the European External Action Service (EEAS).
Video tribute intro
Welcome with coffee and teaDit is er niet
OpeningDit is er niet
Panel 1Dit is er niet
Panel 1Dit is er niet
Panel 2Dit is er niet
Panel 2Dit is er niet
Panel 3Dit is er niet
Closing remarksDit is er niet
Video tribute introDit is er niet
Contributors to conference (iooa)
Adjunct Professor International Politics
University of Helsinki (FI)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Department of Political Science
Maastricht University (NL)
Senior Research Fellow, Clingendael Institute, Leiden (NL)
Senior Fellow International Relations and Diplomacy at the Institute of Security and Global Affairs, Leiden University (NL)
Edward W. Brooke Professor of Political Science
Associate Professor of Political Science and International Affairs
Director of Graduate Studies
Northeastern University, Boston (US)
Head of Programme European External Affairs
European Centre for Development Policy Management, Maastricht (NL)
Honorary Professor in European Politics
Department of Politics and International Studies
University of Warwick (UK)
Director, Europe in the World Programme
Egmont Institute, Brussels (BE)
Department of Government
University of Essex (UK)
A tribute to the work of Dr. Simon Duke
first show on the occassion of the Conference at the UM Brussels Campus, on 21 March 2019
Simon Duke (31 August 1959 – 5 September 2018)
Simon worked at the European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA) at the rank of Professor and was also a Senior Research Fellow at Maastricht University. He taught regularly in the master’s programme European Public Affairs at FASoS, contributed frequently to the activities of the Centre for European Research in Maastricht (CERIM) and collaborated extensively in his research with numerous colleagues. Since 2007, he was also the co-Executive Editor of The Journal of European Integration.
After obtaining his MPhil and DPhil at Oxford University, Simon held positions at several leading institutions in Europe and the United States, including the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the Mershon Centre at Ohio State University, The Pennsylvania University and the Central European University (CEU), both in Prague and Budapest. He was also a NATO Fellow and served as adjunct faculty at the Federal Executive Institute (FEI) in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Simon was one of the leading scholars in the field of EU external action, including European security and defence policy. He was the author of twelve monographs on European and transatlantic foreign and security issues, including most recently the EU as a Stronger Global Actor: Challenges and Strategic Responses (Palgrave Macmillan 2017) and Will Brexit Damage Our Security and Defence? (Palgrave Macmillan 2018). He also published on related topics in many international journals and contributed to numerous academic workshops and conferences. Simon managed this successful academic career in the context of a demanding role training large numbers of officials and diplomats from the European institutions, the EU member states and third countries. In the past years, he has been very much involved in the training of staff of the European External Action Service (EEAS), the newly established EU diplomatic service.
- Will Brexit Damage our Security and Defence? The Impact on the UK and EU (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2018).
- Europe as a Stronger Global Actor: Challenges and Strategic Responses (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2017).
- The Maastricht Treaty: Second Thoughts after 20 years, co-edited with Thomas Christiansen (Abingdon: Routledge, 2013).
- Beyond the Chapter: Enlargement Challenges for CFSP and ESDP, (Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, 2003).
- The EU and Crisis Management: Development and Prospects, (Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, 2002).
- The Elusive Quest for European Security: From EDC to CFSP, (London: Macmillan/St Antony’s, 2001).
- Between Vision and Reality: CFSP’s Progress on the Path to Maturity, (ed.) (Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, 2000).
- The New European Security Disorder, (London: Macmillan/St. Antony’s, 1994).
- U.S. Military Forces Basing in Europe: The Early Years, co-edited with Wolfgang Krieger. (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1993).
- The Burdensharing Debate: A Reassessment, (London: Macmillan, 1992).
- United States Military Forces and Installations in Europe, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989).
- U.S. Defence Bases in the United Kingdom: A Matter for Joint Decision?, (London: Macmillan/St Antony’s, 1987).