CLEER Summer School 2023
CLEER and the T.M.C. Asser Instituut present their 8th summer school in EU External Relations Law, from 26 to 30 June 2023 at Maastricht Universtiy Campus Brussels (hybrid).
Maastricht University Campus Brussels
Avenue de Tervueren 153
What does the programme offer you?
The programme will comprise interactive lectures delivered by renowned academic experts and discussion led by experienced practitioners from the EU institutions, enabling participants to glean first-hand experience of how theory is transformed into practice:
- Extensive knowledge of the core actors and instruments forming the foundations of the EU’s external action.
- Stimulating and current debates on EU external policy challenges such as EU-Ukraine relations, EU environmental issues or EU energy security will be addressed not to fundamental issues such as EU competences, mixed agreements and CFSP legal review.
- Practitioners will add their perspective on recent developments in EU external relations law
- Language: all lectures will be held in English.
Admission requirements & tuition fee
- Students, civil servants or practitioners with an academic background or practical experience in law, political science or international relations.
- Please register by clicking on the green REGISTRATION button.
- 6 scholarships are available for students, waiving the tuition fee which will be awarded on the basis of merit and financial need. If you apply for a scholarship don't register but please provide a statement of interest, explanation and CV with your application before June 9 and send it by email to: email@example.com. You will be informed by Tuesday, 13 June.
Tuition fee for in-person attendance at Campus Brussels:
- 310 EUR for Maastricht University Alumni and Maastricht University students (2 ECTS, including lunch, receptions, certificate of attendance, no accommodation)
- 350 EUR for non Maastricht University students (2 ECTS, including lunch, receptions, certificate of attendance, no accommodation)
- 650 EUR for practitioners (including lunch, receptions, certificate of attendance, no accommodation) or 150 EUR per day
Tuition fee for online participation (external visits are not online):
- 60 EUR for students (including lecture material and certificate of attendance)
- 180 EUR for practitioners (including lecture material and certificate of attendance)
|Monday 26 June|
|10.30||Opening & Introduction|
Strategic autonomy in EU external relations law by Frank Hoffmeister
|14.00||The legal framework of EU enlargement and neighbourhood policies: the case of Ukraine by Peter Van Elsuwege|
|Tuesday 27 June: EU external relations: Fundamental Issues|
|10.00||EU external competences by Andrea Ott|
|12.00||The law and practice of mixed agreements by Merijn Chamon|
|14.30||The Energy Charter Treaty: an EU law perspective by Christina Eckes|
|16.30||The EU’s external energy security by Max Baumgart|
|Wednesday 28 June: EU external relations: An institutional perspective|
|09.30||The European Parliament in EU external relations by Anders Neergaard|
|11.30||Recent developments in EU external relations, Council and Commission perspectives by Antonios Antoniadis and André Bouquet|
Visit to the EEAS: Role of the EEAS in EU external relations by Lóránt Havas
|Thursday 29 June: EU external policies|
|09.30||Visit to DG Trade (European Commission): Common Commercial Policy by Ulrich Trautmann|
|13.30||The external dimension of the AFSJ by Lilian Tsourdi|
|15.30||The normalization of CFSP by Ramses Wessel|
|Friday 30 June: Selected issues in EU external relations|
|09.30||EU Development Policy by Sandra Bartelt|
|11.30||A case study on the role of customary law in EU external relations law by Eva Kassoti|
|14.00||Key-note by Tamara Perišin|
|15.30||Closing reception & certificates|
- Dr Antonios Antoniadis is member of the legal service of the Council, Brussels.
- Sandra Bartelt is Head of the Legal Unit at DG Development, European Commission, Brussels.
- Dr Max Baumgart is Assistant Professor in Law, Tilburg University.
- André Bouquet is member of the legal service, European Commission, Brusssels.
- Dr Merijn Chamon, is post-doc researcher at the Ghent European Law Institute.
- Prof. Christina Eckes is professor of EU law at the University of Amsterdam and member of the Governing Board of CLEER.
- Lóránt Havas is member of the Legal Service of the European Commission, Brussels.
- Prof. Frank Hoffmeister is Director for General Affairs and the Chief Legal Officer at European External Action Services (EEAS) and Professor of International Economic Law in the LLM in International and European Law programme of the Brussels School of Governance.
- Dr Eva Kassoti is a Senior Researcher in International and EU Law and academic coordinator of CLEER, at the TMC Asser Institute, the Hague.
- François-Charles Laprévote is partner at the law firm of Cleary Gottlieb, Brussels.
- Prof. Till Müller-Ibold is Professor of Law at Universität Passau and Senior Counsel at the law firm of Cleary Gottlieb (Brussels).
- Anders Neergaard is Head of Unit in the Legal Service of the European Parliament.
- Prof. Andrea Ott is professor of EU External Relations Law and Jean Monnet Chair in EU law at Maastricht University. She is member of the Governing Board of CLEER.
- Prof. Tamara Perišin, judge at the General Court of European Union, Luxembourg.
- Ulrich Trautmann, Senior expert DG Trade at European Commission and since 2015 assigned to the unit in charge of dispute settlement and legal aspects of trade policy.
- Lilian Tsourdi is a tenured senior-level Assistant Professor and Dutch Research Council grantee at the Law Faculty of Maastricht University and the Maastricht Centre for European Law, as well as a visiting professor at Sciences Po Paris.
- Prof. Peter Van Elsuwege is professor of EU law at Ghent University, and member of the governing board of CLEER.
- Prof. Ramses A. Wessel is professor of the Law of the European Union and other International Organizations at the University of Twente. He is member of the Governing Board of CLEER.