27 Jun 29 Jun
09:15 - 15:45
7th CLEER Summer School on the Law of EU External Relations (online)
CLEER and the T.M.C. Asser Instituut present their 7th summer school in EU External Relations Law, from 27 to 29 June 2022.
It takes place as an intensive 3 days course completely online.
What does the programme offer you?
The programme will comprise interactive lectures delivered by renowned academic experts and discussion led by experienced practitioners from the EU institutions, enabling participants to glean first-hand experience of how theory is transformed into practice:
- Extensive knowledge of the core actors and instruments forming the foundations of the EU’s external action.
- Stimulating and current debates on EU external policy challenges such as EU-Ukraine relations, EU environmental issues or EU energy security will be addressed not to fundamental issues such as EU competences, mixed agreements and CFSP legal review.
- Practitioners will add their perspective on recent developments in EU external relations law
- Language: all lectures will be held in English.
- Students, civil servants or practitioners with an academic background or practical experience in law, political science or international relations.
- Please register by clicking on the green REGISTRATION button.
- 5 scholarships are available for students, waiving the tuition fee which will be awarded on the basis of merit and financial need. If you apply for a scholarship don't register but please provide a statement of interest, explanation and CV with your application before June 10 and send it to by email to: email@example.com. You will be informed by Monday, 13 June.
- 50 EUR for students (including lecture material and certificate of attendance)
- 150 EUR for practitioners (including lecture material and certificate of attendance)
- 30 EUR for attendance per day
|Monday 27 June||The fundamentals of EU External Relations Law|
|09.15h||Introduction by Eva Kassoti|
|09.30h||EU competences, codification and case law - old and new problems by Andrea Ott|
|11.30h||EU mixity: law and practice by Merijn Chamon|
|12.30h||The normalisation of the CFSP by Ramses Wessel|
|13.45h||The legal framework of EU enlargement and neighbourhood policies: the case of Ukraine by Peter Van Elsuwege|
|Tuesday 28 June||EU external relations – specific topics|
|09.00h||The Energy Charter Treaty: An EU law perspective by Christina Eckes|
|10.30h||Due diligence and external dimension of EU environmental law by Wybe Douma|
|12.30h||EU energy security and its external dimensions by Max Baumgart|
|13.30h||EU funding in EU migration management by Lilian Tsourdi|
|Wednesday 29 June||EU external relations: A view from practice|
|09.00h||Recent developments in EU external relations, perspective legal services Council and Commission by Antonios Antoniades and Josephine Norris|
Role of the EEAS in the negotiations of international agreements by Lóránt Havas
|13.00h||The role of the European Parliament in EU external relations by Anders Neergaard|
|14.45h||Key note 'The geopolitical birth of the EU: a legal appraisal' by Steven Blockmans|
- Dr. Antonios Antoniadis is member of the legal service of the Council, Brussels.
- Dr. Max Baumgart, is assistant professor in European and national regulation of the energy transition, Tilburg University
- Prof. Dr. Blockmans, Director of Research at CEPS. He is also a Professor of EU External Relations Law and Governance at the University of Amsterdam and editor-in-chief of the European Foreign Affairs Review.
- Dr. Merijn Chamon, is assistant professor in EU law at Maastricht University
- Dr. Wybe Douma is consultant for EU law (eel.nl & eulegal.nl), senior legal advisor Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, member of the Governing Board of CLEER.
- Prof. Christina Eckes is professor of EU law at the University of Amsterdam and member of the Governing Board of CLEER.
- Lóránt Havas works as a Deputy at the EEAS Legal Affairs Division, Brussels
- Dr Eva Kassoti is a Senior Researcher in International and EU Law and academic coordinator of CLEER, at the TMC Asser Institute, the Hague.
- Anders Neergaard is Head of Unit in the Legal Service of the European Parliament
- Josephine Norris, is member of the legal service, European Commission.
- Prof. Andrea Ott is professor of EU External Relations Law and Jean Monnet Chair in EU law at Maastricht University. She is member of the Governing Board of CLEER.
- Dr. Lilian Tsourdi, is Assistant Professor of European Union Law and Dutch Research Council grantee at the Law Faculty of Maastricht University,
- Prof. Peter Van Elsuwege is professor of EU law at Ghent University, and member of the governing board of CLEER.
- Prof. Ramses A. Wessel is professor of European Law at the University of Groningen. He is member of the Governing Board of CLEER and editor-in-chief of the European Foreign Affairs Review.