On Friday, 15th February 2019, the Maastricht Centre for Human Rights, in cooperation with the Association of Human Rights Institute (AHRI), will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the 25th anniversary of the Maastricht Centre by organising a seminar that focuses on the current meaning of the concept of Universality. Speakers and panellists are a mix of national and international academics and students.
Interested academics and students are invited to attend the seminar free of costs. However, due to the limited number of places that are available, you are cordially requested to fill out the registration form.
- 14:00 - 14:15 Opening
- 14:15 - 14:45 Key-note address Prof. Manfred Nowak, Secretary General of the European Inter-University Center for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) in Venice
- 14:45 - 15:15 Discussion
- 15:15 - 15:30 Coffee/tea break
- 15:30 - 16:45 Panel presentations and discussion. Panel members: Prof. Kasey McCall Smith (University of Edinburgh, Chair AHRI), Prof. Antoine Buyse (Utrecht University, Director SIM), Alejandra Montiel Justo (student Master Globalization and Law), Chloe Agnello (student University College Maastricht), Talha Günay (student European Law School)
- 16:45 - 17:15 Presentations by the winners of the blog competition and prize-giving ceremony
- 17:15 Celebratory speech 25th anniversary Maastricht Centre for Human Rights by Prof. Fons Coomans in the presence of the founders Prof. Theo van Boven and Prof. Cees Flinterman
- Faculty of Law, Bouillonstraat 1-3, Maastricht
- Room: Statenzaal