Cross-border Workers

Are you employed by Maastricht University but do you (continue to) live abroad during your employment in the Netherlands? In this case, you are considered a ‘cross-border worker’. As your situation may significantly change in terms of taxes, social security, pension etc. if you live abroad and work in the Netherlands, it is advisable to take the information included in the information sheets below into consideration.

 Cross-border Work: living in Germany while working in the Netherlands
 Cross-border Work: living in Belgium while working in the Netherlands

Legal status of university employees to change as of 1 January 2020
On 1 January 2020, the Act on the Standardisation of the Legal Status of Civil Servants (WNRA) will come into effect, applying to all employees in the government sector. This means administrative civil service law will be replaced by private employment law at all universities, including UM. This change may have consequences for your social security. More information can be found in the WNRA FAQ on the intranet.