Prof Dr Yvonne van der Meer (Y.)
Yvonne van der Meer is professor holding the Chair Sustainability of chemicals and materials at the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
She leads a research group with 2 assistant professors, 2 postdoctoral researchers and 5 PhDs. The mission of her research team is to provide suitable methods, metrics, tools, and accurate sustainability assessments of chemicals and materials to guide the transition from a fossil-based to a biobased economy and from a linear to a circular economy.
As of 2020 she is scientific co-director of the Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials. She is also a member of the scientific committee of the European Biobased Industries Joint Undertaking and a member of the Educational Program Committee of the Master Biobased Materials. Since 2021 she is Project Owner Sustainable Research of the Taskforce Sustainable UM2030.
The teaching program of her research group includes biobased materials, process technology and sustainability courses at the Maastricht Science Program, the bachelor Business Engineering and the Master Biobased Materials.
Yvonne has over 20 years of experience in sustainable chemistry. She is an experienced manager and scientist with a passion for sustainability. She has talent for strategy, translation of strategic goals into successful activities and connecting partners to jointly develop innovation projects with high impact on sustainability.
- Sustainability assessments
- Prospective/ ex-ante Life Cycle Assessment
- Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (environmental, economic, social impact)
- Biobased and circular materials
- Sustainability in higher education
- Public Private Partnerships
- Organizational management
- Strategy and implementation
Professional career history
- Master degree in Molecular Sciences (Biochemistry & Chemistry) from Wageningen University in 1996
- PhD degree, spectroscopy & catalysis, research on the characterization of NiW and CoW hydrodesulfurization catalysts, Delft University of Technology, 2001
- Program manager and policy officer at the Dutch research council NWO from 2001-2007, where she initiated and managed national and European public-private research programs in sustainable and biobased chemistry.
- Consultant sustainable building materials at INTRON BV from 2007-2008
- Research policy advisor to the Executive Board of Maastricht University from 2008-2013. She had a secondment to the Law Faculty to set up and implement a successful Faculty subsidy strategy from 2008-2013. From 2011-2013 she had a secondment to Sciences for strategic advice and program development of biobased materials.
- Program Leader Biobased Materials at Maastricht University from 2013-2015. She co-founded the research group Biobased Materials and the master Biobased Materials at Maastricht University. She also co-founded two research institutes: the Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials (AMIBM) and the Chemelot Institute for Science and Technology, both on Brightlands Chemelot Campus.
- In 2015, she became head of the Biobased Materials department and Chair of the Educational Programme Committee of the Master Biobased Materials and started her own academic group on Sustainability of Biobased Materials at Maastricht University.
- In 2017, she became full-time associate professor at Maastricht University and group head Sustainabilty of Biobased Materials in a Circular Economy, and scientific board member of AMIBM.
- In 2019, she was appointed full professor Sustainability of Chemicals and Materials at the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Maastricht University
- In 2020 she was appointed scientific co-director of the Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials, a joint institute of Maastricht University and RWTH Aachen University
Y. van der Meer
Professor & group head Sustainability of Chemicals and Materials
Scientific co-director Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials
Project owner Sustainable Research, Taskforce Sustainable UM2030