Dr Yvonne van der Meer (Y.)
Dr. Yvonne van der Meer is associate professor and leads the research group Sustainability of bio-based materials with 3 PhDs and 3 postdoctoral researchers. She is scientific board member of the Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials and Chair of the Educational Program Committee of the Master Biobased Materials. The teaching program of her research group includes bio-based materials and sustainability courses at the Maastricht Science Program (bachelor) and the Master Biobased Materials. Since 2017, she is member of the scientific committee of the Biobased Industries Joint Undertaking.
Yvonne has over 17 years of experience in sustainable chemistry. She is an experienced manager and scientist with a passion for sustainability. She has talent for strategy, translation of strategic goals into succesfull activities and connecting partners to jointly develop innovation projects with high impact on sustainability. She is result oriented while connecting to people to reach the goals and likes to work in complex environments.
- Sustainability assessments
- Environmental Life Cycle Assessment
- Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (environmental, economic, social impact)
- Biobased and circular materials
- Sustainability in higher education
- Public Private Partnerships
- Organizational management
- Strategy and implementation
- Heterogeneous Catalysis
Professional career history
- Master degree in Molecular Sciences (Biochemistry & Chemistry) from Wageningen University in 1996
- PhD degree on the characterization of NiW and CoW hydrodesulfurization catalysts from Delft University of Technology in 2001
- Program manager and policy officer at the Dutch research council NWO from 2001-2007, where she initiated and managed national and European public-private research programs in sustainable and biobased chemistry.
- Consultant sustainable building materials at INTRON BV from 2007-2008
- Research policy advisor to the Executive Board of Maastricht University from 2008-2013. She had a secondment to the Law Faculty to set up and implement a successful Faculty subsidy strategy from 2008-2013. From 2011-2013 she had a secondment to Sciences for strategic advice and program development of biobased materials.
- Program Leader Biobased Materials at Maastricht University from 2013-2015. She co-founded the research group Biobased Materials and the master Biobased Materials at Maastricht University. She also co-founded two research institutes: the Aachen-Maastricht Institute for Biobased Materials (AMIBM) and the Chemelot Institute for Science and Technology, both on Brightlands Chemelot Campus.
- In 2015 she became head of the Biobased Materials department and Chair of the Educational Programme Committee of the Master Biobased Materials and started her own academic group on sustainability of biobased materials at Maastricht University.
- In 2017 she became full-time associate professor at Maastricht University, group leader Sustainabilty of Biobased Materials in a Circular Economy and board member of AMIBM.
Y. van der Meer
Associate Professor & group leader Sustainability of Biobased Materials in a Circular Economy, Chair Educational Program Committee Biobased Materials