SallieMae Student Loans
Maastricht University (UM) is a registered participant in the SallieMae programme. SallieMae is a loan provider in the U.S., who offers private loans to U.S. students to cover their costs for a study period abroad.
SallieMae is a good alternative for students who are not eligible for Federal U.S. Direct Loans or/and who apply for a non-eligible programme at Maastricht University, e.g. less than half-time, Summer School, Medicine or for independent Bachelor students.
Only students with the American nationality are eligible for this type of loan. The loan is meant to finance your stay at Maastricht University and covers your tuition, room, board, travel expenses, etc.
Types of loans
- SallieMae Smart Option Loans
- SallieMae Graduate Loan
Am I eligible?
Federal and private student loans use different eligibility criteria.
Federal US Direct Loans, offered by the government, are based on your financial and family situation, as provided in your FAFSA.
- For Subsidized Loans, the US Department of Education pays the interest while the student is in school at least half time, grace (if offered) and authorized deferment periods.
- For Unsubsidized Loans, the borrower is responsible for paying interest during the in-school or grace periods, or a post-school deferment.
Private student loans, offered by banks and financial institutions, are based on your credit profile. Your credit—and your cosigner’s credit—are evaluated, along with other information provided on your application.
Federal student loans usually have lower interest rates than private student loans and can offer different benefits. You should generally consider them first, and then take out a private student loan if you still need money for college.
- Loan applicants should fill out the UM Questionnaire (log in with your UM account).
- Upon receiving the UM Questionnaire, the UM Financial Aid Officer will send you the Cost of Attendance for your study programme.
- Loan applicants must thereafter apply for a loan via SallieMae.
- You can contact the Financial Aid Officer via email@example.com