Individual appointments for psychological problems
We can help you with psychological problems and complaints such as: anxieties, feelings of guilt, gloominess, stress symptoms, a lack of self-confidence, difficulties making or keeping contact, problems and conflicts with your parents, family or friends (boyfriend/girlfriend), or if you're having trouble dealing with grief.
Emergency or crisis?
Contact your GP.
Outside office hours call the Maastricht UMC+ GP Medical Post (huisartsenpost HAP) +31 (0)43 387 77 77.
For life threatening situations, dial 112.
If you are having suicidal thoughts, dial 0800-0113 or go to 113.nl.
What to expect?
You can sign up for a Quick Psychological Referral (QPR) with a UM Psychologist. During a 10-minute QPR, you can verbalize your biggest concern or give a summary of your situation. The UM Psychologist will help you find the right support within or outside of UM.
Besides the QPR, you can also consider the following options:
- If you need longer-term or more specialised help, you have to make an appointment with your General Practitioner (GP) or family doctor.
- You can find information about the mental health care system in the Netherlands, finding a GP and health insurance here.
- Maybe some of the resources from our (online) offer can help you. All online offer is free for UM students. Have a look at Student Wellbeing.
- We offer group workshops on various topics (stress, fear of failure, perfectionism, etc.) on a regular basis.
- With self-help program Gezondeboel you can do a lot of online modules from the comfort of your own home (also in English).
- You can do the Mind-Health Check and get tailored advise. With this check, you can also do several online modules on mood, procrastination, corona related issues or stress, with the possibility of an online follow-up from a coach.
- To help you form an idea on what you can do, you can also fill in the decision tree.
Are you in a situation where you cannot wait for help?
- In an emergency and crisis situation you can, outside office hours, contact the General Practitioners office of the Academic Hospital Maastricht, 043-3877777.
- During office hours, you can contact your own General Practitioner. If you do not have a GP yet, register as soon as possible. List of GP's.
- Do you have suicidal thoughts? At 113 Suicide Prevention you can chat with a professional. You can also call the free number 0800-0113 anytime.
Please note that every person who lives or works in the Netherlands is legally obliged to take out standard health insurance.