Mathematics requirement at School of Business and Economics
Do you have a mathematics deficiency or do you just want to refresh your mathematics skills, despite meeting the mathematics requirements? We have good news for you! The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE) offers an online preparatory math course and the online exam in order for you to have a smooth start of your bachelor's programme in September.
Please contact Dirk Tempelaar, coordinator math deficiency test:
How to get rid of your mathematics deficiency
Or refresh your mathematics skills
Do you meet the mathematics requirements but do you feel that your mathematical knowledge got a bit rusty? Or do you simply want to make sure that you are well-prepared before your bachelor’s programme starts? We offer you the possibility to take the online preparatory course in mathematics.
Before enrolling in the course, you can check your mathematics knowledge by taking our diagnostic entry test. This test consists of 14 basic questions. If one or more of your answers are incorrect, we recommend that you register for the online preparatory course, as it is likely that you will benefit from refreshing your math skills.
How to register for the online preparatory math course
- Visit the SOWISO environment for the programme of your choice:
- Are you applying for the bachelor’s programme International Business, Economics and Business Economics or Fiscal Economics? Go to the online course.
- Are you applying for the bachelor’s programme Econometrics and Operations Research or Business Analytics? Go to the online course.
- Are you applying for the bachelor’s programme Business Engineering? Go to the online course.
2. Create an account within the SOWISO environment.
3. Go to the ‘Store’ tab and buy the product that corresponds with your programme of choice.
4. The purchased course will appear on the home screen.
5. For all next logins, please go the the SOWISO website.
Important to know:
- Because the course is offered online, you can work on the course whenever and wherever you wish, as long as you have an internet connection.
- The course costs €35
- The courses are available in Dutch and English. You can change the language in your profile.
- The course will generally take 60-100 hours, so we advise you to schedule your time wisely.
The online math exam (deficiency exam)
Once you have completed the online preparatory course, you are ready to take the online exam. The online exam is only necessary for students who need to clear their mathematics deficiency, for the other students this exam is optional. By passing this exam you prove that you possess the required mathematics knowledge to start your study programme at SBE. You can register here for the online exam.
There are two different exams:
- the OMPT-A test (for students applying for the bachelor’s programmes International Business, Economics and Business Economics, and Fiscal Economics).
- the OMPT-B test (for Econometrics and Operations Research, Business Analytics and Business Engineering).
The preparatory math course offers free trial tests. We strongly advise using these in order to find out if you are well-prepared for the deficiency exam. Our advice is to score at least 80%.
When your OMPT test is graded, you receive a certificate by OMPT, indicating your score. Please send that certificate to the SBE coordinator of the deficiency exams (email@example.com). If your score is sufficient, you will receive an SBE certificate that testifies that you have passed the deficiency test. That is the certificate you need to upload in the MyApplication portal.
Important to know:
- The exam costs about €200
- The benchmark for a pass in the OMPT test is a 75% score.
- You have three attempts to pass the exam.
- The online exam is proctored. This means students will be monitored during the test.
- You can take the test online at your convenience, choosing both time and location.
- Planning: we advise taking the preparatory math course in spring or early summer and the exam (OMPT-test) in late June, July. Make sure to write the exam no later than 15 August.