Hylke Dijkstra (H.)
Dr Hylke Dijkstra is the Director of the MA in European Studies at the Department of Political Science of Maastricht University, The Netherlands. He is a board member of the Maastricht University Brussels Campus. He is also work-package leader in the Horizon 2020-funded EU-CIVCAP project. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Contemporary Security Policy.
Hylke Dijkstra holds a PhD in Political Science (cum laude) from Maastricht University. He read Contemporary European Studies (MPhil) in Cambridge and European Studies (BA) and Economics (BSc) in Maastricht. He was previously a Marie Curie Fellow at the Department of Politics and International Relations of the University of Oxford, where he was also affiliated to Nuffield College. During his studies, he spent short periods at Yale University, the Corvinus University of Budapest and Stockholm University.
Hylke Dijkstra is interested in the role of international organizations in the area of security. He has published extensively on the European Union, NATO and the United Nations, including in Cooperation and Conflict, Global Governance, Global Policy, International Peacekeeping, Journal of European Integration, Journal of European Public Policy and The Review of International Organizations. He is author of International Organization (with Rittberger/Zangl/Kruck) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019), International Organizations and Military Affairs (Routledge, 2016) and Policy-Making in EU Security and Defense (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
Hylke Dijkstra is the winner of the 2008 prize for best article in European Foreign Affairs Review for scholars under the age of thirty-five. For his dissertation, he received the Otto von der Gablentz Academic Prize and the G.A. Van Poelje Prize.
Professional career history
- Assistant Professor, Maastricht University (2012-date; tenure since 2015)
- Marie Curie Research Fellow, University of Oxford (2012-2014)
- Non-stipendiary Research Fellow, Nuffield College (2012-2014)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Maastricht University (2011-2012)
- PhD in Political Science, Maastricht University, cum laude (2007-2011)
- MPhil in Contemporary European Studies, University of Cambridge (2006-2007)
- BA in European Studies, Maastricht University (2002-2005)
- BSc in International Economics, Maastricht University (2001-2005)
Honours and Awards
- G.A. van Poelje Annual Prize for best dissertation in Public Administration (2013)
- Otto van der Gablentz Academic Prize for best dissertation on European integration (2012)
- Annual prize for best article published in the European Foreign Affairs Review by a scholar under the age of thirty-five (2009)
Major research grants
- Co-applicant, EU Horizon 2020 Secure Societies, EU-CIVCAP (2015)
- Co-applicant, NL NWO, PhD Research Talent (2014) (candidate declined)
- Applicant, EU FP7, Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship (2011)
- Director of the MA in European Studies (2018-date).
- Member of core planning team developing a new BA in Digital Society (2017-date).
- Board member, Maastricht University Brussels Campus (2017-date).
- Editor-in-Chief, Contemporary Security Policy (2016-date).
- Referee for African Security, Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Contemporary Security Policy, Cooperation and Conflict, European Integration Online Papers, European Security, Foreign Policy Analysis, Global Affairs, Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, International Relations, International Peacekeeping, International Studies Perspectives, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of Contemporary European Research, Journal of European Integration, Journal of European Public Policy, Journal of International Organizations Studies, Journal of International Relations and Development, Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, Journal of Peace Research, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics, Palgrave Macmillan, Politics and Governance, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), Routledge, Studia Diplomatica, The Review of International Organizations.
- Admissions panel, MPhil in Politics, University of Oxford (2013)
- Campus Brussels Steering Group FASoS (2010-2011).
- Co-founder and co-chair of the European Studies alumni platform Brussels (2007-2010).
- PhD Representative for the Netherlands Institute of Government (2008-2010).
- Faculty Advisor EuroSim (2008-2010).
Organisation of events
- Co-organizer workshop "EU Civilian Capability for Conflict Prevention and Peacekeeping", Brussels (2017).
- Co-organizer workshop "Internal and External EU Security Perspectives", Brussels (2016).
- Co-organizer workshop "Explaining Authority in International Organizations", Brussels (2014).
- Co-organizer workshop "Authority and Control in International Organizations" at ECPR Joint Sessions, Salamanca (2014).
- Co-organizer workshop "Secretariats of International Organizations", Oxford (2013)
- Co-chair section "International Organisations in Times of Crisis" at 8th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Warsaw (2013).
- Co-organizer workshop "Bureaucracy and the European Security and Defence Policy", Maastricht (2009).