Hylke Dijkstra (H.)
Prof. Dr. Hylke Dijkstra is Full Professor of International Security and Cooperation (Hoogleraar in Internationale Veiligheid en Samenwerking) at Maastricht University, The Netherlands. He is an expert in global governance, multilateralism and international organizations. He studies how increasing geopolitics and the deteriorating relations between states affect prospects for international cooperation.
Hylke Dijkstra is the Principal Investigator of an ERC research project on the decline and death of international organizations. He is also the Project Coordinator of the Horizon project ENSURED on how the EU and its members can transform global governance. At Maastricht, he serves as the Director of the Research Programme Politics and Culture in Europe.
Hylke Dijkstra is a member of the Standing Committee on European Integration of the Advisory Council on International Affairs (Adviesraad Internationale Vraagstukken) and the Steering Committee of the OSCE Network of Academic Institutions. He was previously Programme Director of the MA in European Studies, Editor-in-Chief of the journal Contemporary Security Policy, and member of the Board of the Dutch Political Science Association and the Advisory Council of the Netherlands Institute of Governance.
Hylke Dijkstra holds a PhD in Political Science (cum laude) from Maastricht. He read Contemporary European Studies (MPhil) in Cambridge. He previously worked as a Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Oxford, where he was also affiliated to Nuffield College.
Hylke Dijkstra has published extensively on international organizations, including the European Union, NATO and the United Nations, in Cooperation and Conflict, European Journal of International Relations, Global Governance, Global Policy, International Peacekeeping, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of European Integration, Journal of European Public Policy and The Review of International Organizations. He is author of International Organization (with Rittberger/Zangl/Kruck) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019), International Organizations and Military Affairs (Routledge, 2016) and Policy-Making in EU Security and Defense (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
Hylke Dijkstra is the winner of the 2008 prize for best article in European Foreign Affairs Review for scholars under the age of thirty-five. For his dissertation, he received the Otto von der Gablentz Academic Prize and the G.A. Van Poelje Prize.
- Full Professor in International Security and Cooperation (Hoogleraar) (2023-date)
- Associate Professor, Maastricht University (2019-2023)
- Assistant Professor, Maastricht University (2012-2019; tenure since 2015)
- Marie Curie Research Fellow, University of Oxford (2012-2014)
- Non-stipendiary Research Fellow, Nuffield College (2012-2014)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Maastricht University (2011-2012)
- PhD in Political Science, Maastricht University, cum laude (2007-2011)
- MPhil in Contemporary European Studies, University of Cambridge (2006-2007)
- BA in European Studies, Maastricht University (2002-2005)
- BSc in International Economics, Maastricht University (2001-2005)
Honours and Awards
- G.A. van Poelje Annual Prize for best dissertation in Public Administration (2013)
- Otto van der Gablentz Academic Prize for best dissertation on European integration (2012)
- Annual prize for best article published in the European Foreign Affairs Review by a scholar under the age of thirty-five (2009)
Major research grants
- Project Coordinator, EU Horizon Europe, ENSURED (2023-2026)
- Co-applicant, EU Horizon 2020, Europe in a changing world, JOINT (2021-2024)
- Principal Investigator, ERC Starting Grant (2019-2023)
- Co-applicant, EU Horizon 2020 Secure Societies, EU-CIVCAP (2015-2018)
- Applicant, EU FP7, Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship (2012-2014)
- Director of the Research Programme "Politics and Culture in Europe" (2020-date).
- Member, Advisory Council on International Affairs (2019-2027).
- Member, Advisory Council of the Netherlands Institute of Governance (2021-2023).
- Member, Steering Committee of OSCE Network (2022-2023).
- Member, CDA Commissie Buitenland (2022-2026).
- Board member, Dutch Political Science Association (2019-2023).
- Editor-in-Chief, Contemporary Security Policy (2016-2023).
- Board member, Maastricht University Brussels Campus (2017-2021).
- Director of the MA in European Studies (2018-2020).
- Member of core planning team developing a new BA in Digital Society (2017-2019).
- Admissions panel, MPhil in Politics, University of Oxford (2013)
- Campus Brussels Steering Group FASoS (2010-2011).
- Co-founder and co-chair of the European Studies alumni platform Brussels (2007-2010).
- PhD Representative for the Netherlands Institute of Government (2008-2010).
- Faculty Advisor EuroSim (2008-2010).