My research interests are definitely multi-faceted. My main research interests fall within the Comparative Politics and International Relations in general in addition to International Political Economy. In my current research, I focus on the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). I study issues related to democratization, crisis management, state-building, security, anti-corruption and development policies in the MENA.
My research focuses on:
European Neighbourhood Policy;
Middle East and North Africa; and
Democracy and Democratization;
Crisis management and Security in the MENA;
Development in the MENA
Journal Articles (peer-reviewed)
- Burlyuk, O., A. Dandashly & G. Noutcheva (2023), ‘External democracy promotion in times of internal rule-of-law crisis: the EU and its neighbourhood’, Journal of European Public Policy (JEPP). https://doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2023.2181381
- Dandashly, A. and C. Kourtelis (2023), ‘The provision of Arab Gulf aid: The emergence of new donors’, International Politics 60(2): 406-427. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41311-022-00418-4
- Dandashly, A. and G. Noutcheva (2022), ‘Conceptualizing norm diffusion and norm contestation in the European neighbourhood: introduction to the special issue’, Democratization 29(3): p. 415-432. https://doi.org/10.1080/13510347.2021.2012161
- Dandashly, A. (2022), ‘The EU and LGBTI Activism in the MENA – The Case of Lebanon’, Mediterranean Politics 27(4): 505-525 https://doi.org/10.1080/13629395.2021.1883287
- Aydın-Düzgit, S. and A. Dandashly (2021) ‘A Model No More? Debating Turkish Influence in the Southern Neighbourhood’, Democratization. https://doi.org/10.1080/13510347.2021.1906656
- Dandashly, A., and Kourtelis, C. ( 2020) Classifying the Implementation of the EU's Normative Power in its Southern Neighbourhood: The Role of Local Actors. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.13051.
- Dandashly, A. and A. Verdun (2020) 'Euro adoption policies in the second decade – the remarkable cases of the Baltic States', Journal of European Integration 42 (3): 381-397. https://doi.org/10.1080/07036337.2020.1730355
- Dandashly, A. and G. Noutcheva (2019) ‘Unintended Consequences of EU’s Democracy Support in the European Neighbourhood’, The International Spectator 54(1): 105-120. https://doi.org/10.1080/03932729.2019.1554340
- Dandashly, A. (2019) ‘Promoting Democracy in the Southern Mediterranean: Perceptions and Expectations’, EuroMed Survey, 9thEdition.
- Dandashly, A. (2018), 'EU Democracy Promotion and the Dominance of the Security–Stability Nexus', Mediterranean Politics 23(1): 62-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629395.2017.1358900
- Dandashly, A. and A. Verdun (2018) ‘Euro Adoption in Central Europe: Laggards by Default and Laggards by Choice’, Comparative European Politics 16(3): 385-412. https://doi.org/10.1057/cep.2015.46
- Dandashly, A. (2016) 'The European Union's Response to the Syrian Conflict: Too little...Too late...', Global Affairs 2(4): 397-400.
- Dandashly, A. and A. Verdun (2016) 'Boarding the Euro Plane: Euro Adoption in the Czech Republic and Slovakia', Review of European and Russian Affairs 9 (2): 1-26.
- Dandashly, A. (2015) ‘The Political Impediments to Euro Adoption in Poland’, Problems of Post Communism 26 (5): 287-298.
- Börzel, T.; A. Dandashly and T. Risse (2015) ‘External Actors’ Responses to the ‘Arabellions’ – The EU in Comparative Perspective’, Journal of European Integration 37 (1): 1-18.
- Dandashly, A. (2015) ‘The EU Response to Regime Change in the Wake of the Arab Revolt: Differential Implementation ’, Journal of European Integration 37 (1): 37-56.
- Börzel, T.; T. Risse and A. Dandashly (2015) ‘The EU, External Actors, and the ‘Arabellions’: Much Ado About (Almost) Nothing’, Journal of European Integration 37 (1): 135-153.
- Dandashly, A. (2012) ‘European Integration Revisited – From the Founding Fathers to the Normative Power Europe’, Journal of European Integration 34 (4): 419-426.
Dandashly, A. and G. Chira (2023). ‘European Neighbourhood Policy’, in Amy Verdun, Achim Hurrelmann and Emmanuel Brunet-Jailly (Eds.), European Union Governance and Policy-making: A Canadian Perspective, 2nd edition, University of Toronto Press, pp. 303-324.
Dandashly, A. (2022), ‘Crisis and ceding of state sovereignty: the case of Lebanon and the COVID-19 Pandemic’, in L. Sadiki and L. Saleh (Eds.), Covid-19 and Risk society across the MENA region, IB Tauris, pp. 176-194.
Dandashly, A. (2022), ‘The EU-Lebanon Relations’ in D. Bouris, D. Huber and M. Pace (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of EU-Middle East Relations.
- Dandashly, A. and G. Chira (2018), ‘European Neighbourhood Policy’, in E. Brunet-Jailly, A. Hurrelmann and A. Verdun (Eds.), European Union Governance and Policy Making: A Canadian Perspective, Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Dandashly, A. (2016), ‘The EU Quest for a Security Community with the Southern Neighbours: EU-Tunisia relations’, in P. Rieker (Ed.), The EU as a Security Community Provider, London: Palgrave.
- Dandashly, A. (2016), ‘The EU and the US Reaction to the Arab Spring 2011: (New) Response to a changing Middle East and North Africa’, in I. Peter (Ed.), The European Union’s Foreign Policy in Comparative Perspective, London: Routledge, pp. 142-162.
- Dandashly, A. (2013), ‘The EU and the Southern Neighbors in the Wake of the Arab Spring: Increased Territorialization or Functionalism’, (in Polish), in A. Surdej and J. Brzozowski (Eds.), Territorialization or functionalization: Dilemmas of the International Integration organizations, Adam Marszałek Publishing House.
- Dandashly, A.; A. Surdej and H. T. Właszczuk (2009), ‘Policy Choices and Policy Tensions in the Creation and Functioning of the Euro Area’, (with Aleksander Surdej and Helena Tendera Właszczuk), in A. Dandashly, A. Surdej and H. T. Właszczuk (eds), Global Financial Crisis and Euro zone Enlargement, Poland: Adam Marszałek Publishing House, pp. 13-22.
- Dandashly, A. (2009) , 'Between the Euro and the Global Financial Crisis: The Case of the Czech Republic', in A. Dandashly, A. Surdej and H. T. Właszczuk (eds), Global Financial Crisis and Euro Zone Enlargement, Poland: Adam Marszałek Publishing House, pp. 59-77.
Edited Books/Special Issues
- Dandashly, A. and G. Noutcheva (2022), ‘Whose Norms? Competing Political Models and Patterns of Diffusion in the European Neighbourhood’, a Special Issue for Democratization, 29 (3), 138 pages.
- Börzel, T.; A. Dandashly and T. Risse (Eds.)(2016), Responses to the 'Arabellions' – The EU in Comparative Perspective. London: Routledge, pgs. 162.
- Börzel, T.; A. Dandashly and T. Risse (Eds.)(2015), External Actors’ Responses to the Arab Spring – The EU in Comparative Perspective. Journal of European Integration 37 (1), pgs. 153.
- Dandashly, A. ; A. Surdej and H. T. Właszczuk (Eds.) (2009) Global Financial Crisis and Euro Zone Enlargement,, Poland: Adam Marszałek Publishing House, pgs. 155. ISBN 978-83-7611-558-0
Working Papers (peer-reviewed)
Rain, K., S. Blockmans, A. Dandashly, G. Noutcheva, A. Osypchuk and A. Suslov (2023) Tackling the Constraints on EU Foreign Policy towards Ukraine: From Strategic Denial to Geopolitical Awakening. . Instituto Affari Internazionali. 51p. https://www.jointproject.eu/2023/04/06/tackling-the-constraints-on-eu-foreign-policy-towards-ukraine-from-strategic-denial-to-geopolitical-awakening/
Bargues, P., A. Dandashly, H. Dijkstra & G. Noutcheva (2022) Time to Re-engage with Kosovo and Serbia: Strengthening EU Foreign and Security Policy amidst Internal Contestation. Instituto Affari Internazionali. 46p. https://www.iai.it/en/pubblicazioni/time-re-engage-kosovo-and-serbia
Dandashly A., H. Dijkstra, Marafona, G. Noutcheva, Z. Paikin (2021) Multipolarity and EU Foreign and Security Policy: Divergent Approaches to Conflict and Crisis Response. Instituto Affari Internazionali. 54 p. https://www.iai.it/en/pubblicazioni/multipolarity-and-eu-foreign-and-security-policy-divergent-approaches-conflict-and
Levallois,A., A . Dandashly, N. Maphalala, and A. Ünver. (2021) Regional Fragmentation and EU Foreign and Security Policy. Instituto Affari Internazionali. 28 p. https://www.iai.it/sites/default/files/joint_rp_3.pdf
- Dandashly, A. (2014), ‘Building a Security Community in the Neighbourhood: Zooming in on EU–Tunisia Relations’, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, NUPI Working Paper 836, Oslo, Norway.
- Dandashly, A. (2012), ‘The Holy Trinity of Democracy, Economic Development and Security – EU Democratization Efforts beyond its Borders, KFG Working Paper Series 42, Kolleg-Forschergruppe (KFG) “The Transformative Power of Europe”, Berlin: Freie Universität Berlin.
- Dandashly, A. (2015), Book review of Győrffy, D. (2013), Institutional Trust and Economic Policy: Lessons from the History of the Euro, Budapest: Central European University Press. Europe-Asia Studies 67 (8): 1337-1338.
- Dandashly, A. (2012), Book review of Dyson, K. and L. Quaglia (2010), European Economic Governance and Policies, Oxford: Oxford University Press, Volumes I and II (873 and 923 pages), European Union Studies Association Newsletter (EUSA), Winter 2012, pp. 11-13.
- Dandashly, A. (2008), Book review of Dyson, K. (ed.) (2006), Enlarging the Euro Area: External Empowerment and Domestic Transformation in East Central Europe, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 376 pp., Central European Journal of International and Security Studies, Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp. 134-136.
- Bargues, P., A. Dandashly, H. Dijkstra & G. Noutcheva (2022). Beyond License Plates and Crisis Management: Options for the EU for a Final Agreement on Kosovo and Serbia. Instituto Affari Internazionali. https://www.iai.it/en/pubblicazioni/beyond-license-plates-and-crisis-management
- Dandashly, A. (2012), ‘The Arab Spring, the EU and the West From Thawrat al-Karama (Dignity Revolution) to the Syrian Bloody River’, The Kolleg-Forschergruppe (KFG)-The Transformative Power of Europe Newsletter, Berlin, Issue 01/2012, June, pp. 13-15.
- Dandashly, A. (2012), ‘The Euro Crisis and What It Means for the Future of Europe’, LIDOVÉ NOVINY, Pondělí 2. ledna 2012 (in Czech).