Stichting De Ridder Scholarship
Getting a degree not only vastly improves someone’s job opportunities, but may also affect their socio-economic status and living conditions. Through this new scholarship programme, Stichting De Ridder aims to offer young people from the Maastricht region, who lack the financial resources to study, equal opportunities to follow a university study at UM.
About “De Ridder”.
De Ridder was a beer brewery founded in 1875 in Maastricht, by the brothers van Aubel. After more than 100 years of prosperity, in 1982 the decision had to be taken to wind down the brewery by selling “de Ridder”. The beer production continued for another 20 years under the new owner, but then in 2002, the gates of the iconic buildings in the center of Maastricht were closed as well. The neon letters 'Ridder Bier' on top of the brewery became industrial heritage and remain part of the skyline of Maastricht.
Stichting de Ridder was founded in 2004 by Mrs. N. van Aubel the last co-owner of the brewery. Stichting de Ridder supports various cultural and societal projects in Maastricht and its region. The new scholarship programme aims to support regional, talented young people who lack the financial means to study.
The programme provides scholarships to students enrolled in a bachelor programme at UM at the following faculties:
- Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Business and Economics
If you have any questions about the programme please contact:
For bachelor programmes: email@example.com
If you have any questions about the scholarship please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is eligible?
You must have submitted a complete application by 1 May 2023 to:
- A bachelor programme at Maastricht University for the 2023-2024 academic year. You meet the specific admission requirements of the UM bachelor programme to which you have applied.
- You must have the Dutch nationality and live in one of these municipalities: Maastricht, Eijsden-Margraten, Gulpen-Wittem, Valkenburg a/d Geul, Meerssen, Vaals
- You have financial need
This scholarship provides an opportunity to experience the Problem-Based Learning educational model at Maastricht University, but also gives the scholarship recipient the opportunity to learn from other cultures by becoming a part of Maastricht University’s international academic community.
Are you interested in a bachelor degree from Maastricht University? Are you a student with financial need in the Maastricht region? You can apply for the Stichting De Ridder Scholarship!
The application is closed, you can no longer apply for this scholarship.
Amount of the scholarship
The scholarship covers the tuition fee at cost, for the minimum duration of the bachelor programme, as stated in the scholarship award letter. The period of the scholarship starts and ends at the dates mentioned in the awarding letter.
The Stichting De Ridder Scholarship 2023-2024
Tuition fee*(per year)
|Arranged and paid for by the
*These amounts are subject to change for each academic year
Step 1: Apply for admissions to the bachelor programme at Maastricht University via Studielink. Candidates must have submitted a complete application for the relevant study programme via Studielink and My UM for September 2023 by 1 May 2023.
Step 2: Application to the scholarship:
- Please fill out the (application closed) and including the necessary documents.
Upload the following documents in .doc, .docx, or PDF format, and submit your application. Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents are up-to-date.
- Curriculum Vitae. Your CV should be up-to-date, contain relevant information about your education and (job) experience, and should not be longer 2 A4 pages.
- Letter of motivation. Your letter of motivation should be up-to-date and specifically tailored to this scholarship programme. Generic letters of admission that do not directly address your motivation for the scholarship selection will be rejected. Your letter of motivation should be no longer than 1 A4 page. Be sure to argue why this scholarship is important to you, why you should be selected and include a statement of financial need.
- A letter of reference from the dean of your high school
Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents are up-to-date.
Step 3: Applicants will be informed about the selection outcome at the end of June 2022.
Step 4: The candidates who are awarded the scholarship will receive an award letter; they must sign and return this letter to the UM International Services Desk to accept the scholarship.
For the scholarship assessment, the Scholarship Committee takes all elements of the application into account, including motivation and the reference.