What is ISAP?
ISAP stands for 'International Student Ambassador Programme', also known as the UM Buddy Programme. This initiative run by the Student Services Centre of Maastricht University attempts to help new students adapt to life in Maastricht by pairing you, and a group of other new students, with a buddy (a current student at UM) during your first months in the city.
Your buddy will be there to guide you through the process, help you settle in and make the switch to university in the Netherlands easier for you. In addition, the ISAP team will organize various social activities for you and your buddy to take part in, giving you the opportunity to meet other new international students and get to discover Maastricht in a fun way.
What do previous participants think about ISAP?
Here are some testimonials from past participants:
"ISAP facilitates some of a student’s most important pursuits: forging friendships, social events, adventures and a support network. On top of that, participating in the Buddy Program is one of the most effective and personalized ways to discover all the ins and outs of the city."
Nicolas (Psychology student at UM)
"As one of the few inter-disciplinary programs out there, ISAP has been a great opportunity for me to get to know people from all faculties and to get to know Maastricht better."
Thyra (International Business student at UM)
How can I apply?
The ISAP Buddy programme is part of the Welcome package for international students. If you are a new international student, you can register for a Buddy here. For the first months you have to pay €15.-, for the next months it will be €5.- per month. All the activities organised by ISAP will be free.
Application deadline: 16 August 2020.
For further insight into the ISAP programme, watch the video below:
ISAP Buddy Programme - Become an Ambassador
Would you like to be a buddy for an incoming international bachelor's student?
International Student Ambassadors, or Buddies, will have the opportunity to be in contact with students from many different cultures: Student Ambassadors function as a primary contact person for any questions that incoming students may have. This carries a certain level of responsibility, but will also add tremendously to your own personal development. In preparation for your job as an Ambassador, you will receive professional coaching in different areas such as communication, intercultural awareness and student psychology. At the end of the program, all Ambassadors will be awarded an official certificate signed by the Executive Board of Maastricht University.
All we ask is for you to provide us with a short letter of motivation regarding joining the ISAP programme as an Ambassador.
What do International Student Ambassadors (buddies) do?
- Communicate with international students before arrival in the Netherlands
- Help international students settle in Maastricht
- Help them find their way in and around the university
- Introduce international students to the Dutch culture and traditions
- Organize social gatherings and cultural activities for your newbies
- Answer any questions they may have about studying and living in Maastricht
What do we expect of you?
- To know the city and the university well enough to give necessary information and share your experiences with your students
- To keep in touch with your students throughout the first semester and initiate meetings/events with them
- To join the Pick-up service program as a volunteer
- To join the ISAP welcome activities together with your students
- To join the program intercultural awareness and student psychology trainings
Why join ISAP?
As an International Student Ambassador, you will:
- Spend time and exchange experiences with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Develop cross-cultural skills which will add to your personal development
- Receive professional coaching in different areas such as communication, inter-cultural awareness and student psychology
- Have the opportunity to attended fun and exciting events for free
How to apply
You can apply by filling out the application form before the deadline of 16 August 2020.