Prof Jan Cohen Tervaert (J.W.)
Jan Willem Cohen Tervaert MD, PhD
Professor of Medicine and Immunology at the Maastricht University, Maastricht, the Netherlands
Cohen Tervaert studied Medicine at the University of Groningen where he obtained his MD in 1981. After training in Internal Medicine and Nephrology he finished his thesis (cum laude) in 1990 entitled "ANCA: new class of autoantibodies in glomerulonephritis and vasculitis".
Subsequently, he worked as a research fellow in the Vascular Biology Department, Harvard Medical School Boston, USA (Head: Prof. MA Gimbrone Jr.).
In 1993, he returned to Groningen (as a recipient of a fellowship of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences), where he was a staff member at the Department of Clinical Immunology at the University Medical Center Groningen.
In 2000, he was appointed Professor of Medicine and Immunology at the Maastricht University. Until 2012, he was chairman of the Division of Clinical and Experimental Immunology of the Department of Internal Medicine and head of the Immunology Laboratory at the University Hospital Maastricht. Subsequently, he served until the end of 2015 as a Research Director of the Sint Franciscus Vlietland Group in Rotterdam. Currently, he is setting up a National consultation service for patients with vasculitis and other renal diseases.
Cohen Tervaert is a founding member of the Autoimmunity Consortium. He is Chairman of the scientific advisory board of the Dutch Arthritis Foundation. Furthermore, he is a former chairman of the Dutch Scientific Section of Nephrology and a former board member of the Dutch Federation of Nephrology and the Dutch Society of Immunology.
He is the chairman of the Dutch Vasculitis Study Group and an active member of the European Vasculitis Study Group. In addition, he is a member of the scientific advisory boards that advises the Dutch Minister of Health, Welfare, and Sports on health care, environmental factors and medications in the Netherlands.
His fields of interest are inflammation and auto-immunity of disorders, such as atherosclerosis, vasculitis, and ASIA. Genes and the interplay with environmental factors such as vitamin D, silica and silicones in the development of autoimmunity have his special interest. He is (co) author of more than 400 scientific articles and a member of Editorial Boards of several scientific journals. His Hirsch factor per 01-07-2016 is 55.
1. Cohen Tervaert JW, Huitema MG, Hene RJ, et al. Prevention of relapses of Wegener’s Granulomatosis by treatment based on antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody titre. Lancet 1990; 336:709-711.
2. Stegeman CA, Cohen Tervaert JW, De Jong PE, et al. Trimethoprimsulfamethoxazole (Co-trimoxazole) for the prevention of relapses of Wegener’s granulomatosis. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:16-20.
3. Jayne D, Rasmussen N, Andrassy K, Bacon P, Cohen Tervaert JW, et al. A randomized trial of maintenance therapy for vasculitis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:36-44.
4. Jones RB, Cohen Tervaert JW, Hauser T et al. Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide in ANCA associated renal vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2010;363:211-220
5. Wilde B, Van Paassen P, Witzke O, Cohen Tervaert JW. New pathophysiological insights and treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitis. Kidney Int 2011;79:599-612
6. Lyons PA, Rayner TF, Trivedi S, Holle JU, Watts RA, Jayne DR, Baslund B, Brenchley P, Bruchfeld A, Chaudhry AN, Cohen Tervaert JW, et al. Genetically distinct subsets within ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2012;367:214-23.
7. Hilhorst M, van Paassen P, Cohen Tervaert JW; Limburg Renal Registry. Proteinase 3-ANCA Vasculitis versus Myeloperoxidase-ANCA Vasculitis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;26:2314-27.
Professional career history
2000 Professor of Internal Medicine and Immunology, Maastricht University, Maastricht
2010 Staff member, School for mental health and neroscience (MHeNS), Maastricht University, Maastricht
2014 Internist, Renaert Clinic (Maastricht), Maria Hospital (Overpelt, Belgium) and Cavari Clinic (Groningen).
1981-1983 Teaching coordinator internal medicine, University of Groningen, Groningen
1983-1991 Trainee Internal Medicine/Nephrology, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen
1991-1993 Visiting scientist, Dept. of Pathology, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
1993-2000 Staff member of the Department of Clinical Immunology; supported by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (‘KNAW fellow’ 1993-1998), University Hospital Groningen, Groningen
2000-2012 Head of the Immunology Laboratory, AZM, Maastricht
2000-2012 Head of the Experimental Immunology Laboratory, Maastricht University, Maastricht
2000-2012 Head of the Clinical Immunology Section, Department of Internal Medicine, AZM, Maastricht
2000-2012 Principal Investigator, Cardiovascular research institute Maastricht (CARIM), Maastricht University, Maastricht
2012-2015 Research Director, Franciscus Gasthuis & Vlietland, Rotterdam
2012-2015 Internist ad interim (several periods), Oduber Hospital, Oranjestad, Aruba
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
1981 Medical degree
1988 Specialist in Internal Medicine
1990 PhD (Doctor Medical Sciences) cum laude
1991 Specialist in Nephrology
1993 Investigative pathologist
2006 Specialist in Clinical Immunology
J.W. Cohen Tervaert
Professor of Medicine and Immunology