Prof Dr J.P. Kooman
Jeroen Kooman (1966) is professor at the department of Internal Medicine, division of Nephrology, where he is also positioned as a consultant Nephrologist since 1998. Since september 2020, he is director of EDLAB, the UM institute for education innovation.
Jeroen Kooman received his medical training at the University of Maastricht in 1990 and received his PhD title in 1992. He was trained in internal medicine and nephrology in the Maxima Medical Centre (formerly St.Joseph Hospital) and the University Hospital Maastricht. During this period, he also worked as a guest scientist in the Karolinska Institute, dept. of Baxter Novum.He is also head of medical specialist training for Nephrology. In 2018, he received the European Certificate in Nephrology from the ERA-EDTA/UEMS.
His main research interests comprise, among others, the following items
1. The pathophysiology of systemic complications related to chronic renal failure and end-stage renal disease
2. The pathophysiology and consequences of alterations in fluid status and body composition in patients with renal failure
3. The effect of dialysis therapies on the cardiovascular and nutritional state, as well as the quality of life of patients with renal failure
4. physical (in)activity in patients with renal failure and the implementation of technical devices to improve physical activity levels
5. the value of the implementations of technological innovations in the treatment of patients with renal failure
6. (premature) biological aging in patients with renal disease
Jeroen Kooman has published 320 WI-1 papers (as of august 2021), and a H-index of 60 (Google Scholar) and contributed to various book chapters and serves or has served as (co-) suoervisor of more than 20 PhD students.
He has been a working member and chair of various national and international guideline committees (Dutch Federation Nephrology, ERA-EDTA, ISBP). He was member of the scientific council of the Dutch Kidney Foundation (DKF).
Until september 2015, he was chairman of the Scientific Committee of the MUMC.
Jeroen Kooman has also completed a Master of Health Professions Education in 2011. He has served in various educational positions, among others as coordinator of the Bachelor curriculum and is , until september 2020, chairman of the Educational Committee (opleidingscommissie) of FHML-medicine. He was head of medical training for Nephrology until december 2020, From september 2020, he is, next to his clinical and research work, director of EDLAB, the UM institute for education innovation.
Professor of chronic renal failure