Dr Jens Lachmund (J.D.)
Jens Lachmund is a sociologist who has specialized in the social studies of science, technology, and the environment. After his graduation in sociology (University of Bielefeld) he worked in different research projects at the University of Bielefeld. After positions at the Hamburg Institute for Social Research and the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (Berlin) he moved to Maastricht University, where he took a position as a lecturer (universitair docent) in Science and Technology Studies.
Professional career history
Doctoral degree in sociology, 1995. University of Bielefeld, Faculty of Sociology. Title of dissertation: "Von der Krankengeschichte zur körperlichen Untersuchung. Zur historischen Soziologie der physikalischen Diagnostik" (From Patient's Narrative to Physical Examination. A Historical Sociology of Physical Diagnosis). Supervisor: Karin Knorr-Cetina.
Graduation (Diplom) in sociology, 1985. University of Bielefeld, Faculty of Sociology. Title of thesis: "Der 'aktive Patient': Grenzen professioneller Kontrolle in der Medizin" (The Active Patient: The Limits of Professional Control in Medicine). Supervisor: Hans-Jürgen Daheim.
Research and Teaching Positions
- Lecturer, University of Maastricht, Department of Technology and Society Studies.
- Walther Rathenau- and Schloeßmann Fellow, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, 1998-2002.
- Visiting Instructor, Technical University of Berlin, Institute of Sociology, Urban Studies Unit, 1998-2000.
- Research Scholar, Hamburg Institute for Social Research, 1995-1998.
- Research Assistant, University of Bielefeld, Faculty of Sociology, 1993.
- Research Scholar, University of Bielefeld, Faculty of Sociology. Project: "Eigenkontextierung der Wissenschaft" (with Karin Knorr-Cetina), 1990-1991.
- Research Scholar, University of Bielefeld, Faculty of Sociology. Project: "Laisierung des Patienten" (with Gunnar Stollberg), 1987-1990.
Research Funding and Awards : Walther Rathenau Fellowship, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, 2001-2002. --- Rudolf SchloeÃŸmann Fellowship, Max Planck Society, 1999-2001. --- Dissertation Prize, Westfaelisch-Lippische Universitaetsgesellschaft, 1995. --- North-Rhine-Westfalia State Graduate Stipend, 1992-1993.