I have a background in Communication Science and a PhD in Health Promotion. My PhD thesis was on the impact of smoking bans on smokers and I graduated cum laude. I have published more than 60 international peer-reviewed scientific articles. I work as researcher at Maastricht University for one day a week and as Chief Science Officer at IVO Research Institute for four days a week. My research projects focus on health and wellbeing among people with a low socioeconomic position. Finally, I am supervising five PhD students on different projects related to smoking cessation, mentoring vulnerable youth, and recovery from drug addiction.
- Health, wellbeing, and addiction among vulnerable populations.
- Health behavior change among people with a low socioeconomic status
- Impact of population-level tobacco control policies on smoking cessation
Professional career history
- IVO Research Institute, 2017 - present
- Maastricht University, 2008 - present
- The Hague University of Applied Sciences, 2016 - 2017
- Dutch Alliance for a Smokefree Society, 2014 - 2015
- STIVORO Dutch expert centre on tobacco control, 2007 - 2013
- Radboud University Nijmegen's IQ Scientific Institute for Quality of Healthcare, 2007 - 2008
- PhD Health Promotion, 2008 - 2012, Maastricht University
- MSc Mass Communication, 2006 - 2007, University of Twente
- BSc Mass Communication, 2003 - 2006, Radboud University