Dr Giselle Bosse (G.)
Edited Volumes (3)
- 2023 Guest Editorial: Resilient states versus resilient societies? Whose security does the EU protect through the Eastern Partnership? Special Issue, Journal of Contemporary European Studies (with A. Vieira and C. Kaunert). Q1
- 2013 Values vs. Security? The Choice for the EU and Its Neighbours, Manchester, Manchester University Press (with G. Noutcheva and K. Pomorska).
- 2011 Guest Editorial: The Geopolitics of Energy Security in ‘Wider Europe’, Special Issue, Geopolitics, 16, 3 (with A. Schmidt-Felzmann). Q1
Refereed Articles (20)
- 2023 The EU's response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine: Invoking norms and values in times of fundamental rupture, Journal of Common Market Studies (in production, Article DH_ID: 17856740). Q1
- 2023 Introduction to Special Issue: Resilient states versus resilient societies? Whose security does the EU protect through the Eastern Partnership?, Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 31(4), 1048-1057 (with A. Vieira and C. Kaunert). DOI: 10.1080/14782804.2023.2241021. Q1
- 2023 Resilient states vs. resilient societies? The ‘dark side’ of resilience narratives in EU relations with authoritarian regimes: a case study of Belarus, Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 31(4), 1058-1072 (with A. Vieira). DOI: 10.1080/14782804.2023.2211938 Q1
- 2022 Values, rights, and changing interests: The EU’s response to the war against Ukraine and the responsibility to protect Europeans, Contemporary Security Policy, 43(3), 531-546. DOI: 10.1080/13523260.2022.2099713. Q1
- 2022 Does the EU Have Moral Authority? A Communicative Action Perspective on Sanctions, Politics and Governance, 10(1), 16-25. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17645/pag.v10i1.4680. Q1
- 2021 Authoritarian consolidation in Belarus: What role for the EU?, European View, 20(2), 201-210. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/17816858211061839
- 2021 Persuading the giant? Explaining Eastern Partnership states’ unexpected negotiation success in relations with the European Union, International Negotiation, 27(2), 292-324 (with A. Vieira and M. Höpner). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/15718069-bja10032 Q2
- 2019 Ten years of the Eastern Partnership: What role for the EU as a promoter of democracy?, European View, 18(2): 1-23.
- 2017 Talking Peace at the Edge of War: Local Civil Society Narratives and Reconciliation in Eastern Ukraine, Kyiv-Mohyla Law and Politics Journal, No. 3, 91-116 (with G. Bazilo).
- 2017 EU normative performance: a critical theory perspective on the EU’s response to the massacre in Andijon, Uzbekistan. East European Politics, 3 (1), pp. 56-71. Q1
- 2017 “Hard security” vs. “Big Business”? Explaining Romania’s and Bulgaria’s responses to the conflict in Ukraine, Studia Diplomatica, 86(5): 60-79 (with R. Hincu).
- 2014 The Eastern Partnership and the Disintegration of Eastern Europe: The End of the Region-Building Project? European View, 13(1), 97-118.
- 2012 The end of democratising Europe’s ‘last dictatorship’? Explaining paradigm shifts in the EU’s policy towards Belarus, Journal of Common Market Studies, 50(3), 367-384. Q1
- 2011 The new guardians of security in Europe? EU Foreign Policy towards Libya and Belarus, Perspectives on European Politics and Society, 12(4), 440-461. Q1
- 2011 The EU’s Geopolitical Vision of a European Energy Space: When ‘Gulliver’ meets ‘White Elephants’ and Verdi’s Babylonian King, Geopolitics, 16 (3), 512-535. Q1
- 2011 Introduction: The Geopolitics of Energy Security in ‘Wider Europe’, Geopolitics, 16(3) (with A. Schmidt-Felzmann), 497-485. Q1
- 2010 The EU’s relations with Moldova: Governance, Partnership or Ignorance?, Europe-Asia Studies, 62(8), 1291-1309. Q1
- 2009 Changing Belarus? The Limits of EU Governance in Eastern Europe and the Promise of Partnership, Cooperation and Conflict, 44(2), 143-65 (with E. Korosteleva). Q1
- 2009 The Values/Security Nexus: The Limits of EU Governance in Eastern Europe, Contemporary Politics, 15(2), 215-227. Q2
- 2007 Values in the EU’s Neighbourhood Policy: Political Rhetoric or Reflection of a Coherent Policy?, European Political Economy Review, 7(1), 38-62.
- 2006 Lost in Translation? Political Elites and the Interpretative Values Gap in European Neighbourhood Policies, Contemporary Politics, 2(12), 117-137 (with G. Bogutscaia and A. Schmidt-Felzmann). Q2
(Q1 - Journal ranks in first quartile in Political Science, International Relations or Area Studies)
Book Chapters (14)
- 2023 Strict, fair, engaged.... and still without a vision? A view from the Netherlands on EU enlargement and its neighbourhood, in: Keading, M., Pollak, J. and Schmidt, P. (Eds) Enlargement and the Future of Europe: Views from the Capitals, Cham, Springer Nature (in production).
- 2023 Norm diffusion beyond the membership perspective: Does the EU (still) matter for democratic reform progress in the post-Soviet space? In: Fromage, D. (Ed) (Re-)defining Membership: Differentiation in and outside the European Union, Oxford, Oxford University Press (in production).
- 2020 Ukraine and the European Union, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics, Oxford, Oxford University Press, June 2020.
- 2018 EU normative performance: a critical theory perspective on the EU’s response to the massacre in Andijon, Uzbekistan. In Baltag, D., Papadimitriou, D. and Surubaru, N. C. (Eds) The European Union and Central and Eastern Europe: Assessing Performance, Routledge, pp. 98-121.
- 2017 EU-Belarus Relations, in: Schumacher, T., Marchetti, A. and Demmelhuber, T. (Eds) The Routledge Handbook on the European Neighbourhood Policy, Abingdon/Oxon, Routledge, pp. 290-301.
- 2016 Markets versus Morals? Assessing EU Arms Exports to Autocratic Regimes in its Closer and Wider Neighbourhood, in: Gstöhl, S. (Ed) The European Neighbourhood Policy in a Comparative Perspective, Abingdon/Oxon, Routledge, pp. 282-302.
- 2016 The EU’s Eastern Partnership with Moldova: A ‘best case’ scenario for EU security community building?, in: Rieker, P. (Ed) External Governance as Security Community Building, London, Palgrave (with D. Baltag), pp. 49-78.
- 2013 From ‘Villains’ to the New Guardians of Security in Europe? Paradigm Shifts in EU Foreign Policy towards Libya and Belarus, in: Kaunert, C. and Léonard, S. (Eds) European Security Governance and the European Neighbourhood after the Lisbon Treaty, London, Routledge, pp. 80-101.
- 2013 European Union policy towards Belarus and Libya: old and new double standards?, in: Cierco, T.(Ed) The European Union Neighbourhood: Challenges and Opportunities, Abingdon/Oxon, Routledge, pp. 83-88.
- 2013 Values versus security? Assessing the EU’s pragmatic engagement with Belarus in the Eastern Partnership Policy, in: G. Noutcheva, K.Pomorska and G. Bosse (Eds) The EU and its neighbours: Values vs. Security in European Foreign Policy, Manchester, Manchester University Press, pp. 122-138.
- 2013 Introduction, in: G. Noutcheva, K. Pomorska and G. Bosse (Eds) The EU and its neighbours: Values vs. Security in European Foreign Policy, Manchester, Manchester University Press, pp. 1-24.
- 2010 The EU’s Role in Georgia: Towards a Coherent Crisis Management Strategy?, in: A. Juncos and E. Gross (Eds) EU Conflict Prevention and Crisis Management: Institutions, Policies and Roles, London, Routledge, pp. 131-144.
- 2008 Justifying the European Neighbourhood Policy Based on 'Shared Values': Can Rhetoric Match Reality?, in: E. Tulmets and L. Delcour (Eds) Pioneer Europe? EU Foreign Policy in the Neighbourhood, Baden-Baden, Nomos, pp. 43-54.
- 2008 The EU's Neighbourhood Relations with Eastern Europe and Russia: Values, Interests and Future Challenges for EU Foreign Policy, in: B. Demirtas-Coskun and B. Balamir-Coskun (Eds) Neighbourhood Challenge: The European Union and Its Neighbours, United States, Universal Publishers, pp. 313-328.
Policy Reports and Briefings (16)
- 2023 EU-respons op de Russische invasie in Oekraïne: De moeilijke overgang van 'crisis reactie' naar langetermijnstrategie, Commentary, 24 February 2023, Montesquieu Instituut.
- 2022 Harnessing the EU accession perspective for consolidating democracy in association trio countries, Experts' Debrief, TEPSA.
- 2022 De EU en het lidmaatschap van Oekraïne: Tussen geopolitiek, bureaucratie en morele plicht. De Hofvijver, 12(130), Montesquieu Instituut.
- 2022 Europese veerkracht. IDEE, Nr. 217, July 2022, Van Mierlo Stichting.
- 2021 Freedom of speech and media in the COVID-19 context, Policy Report for Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum (with A. Vieira & M. Höpner).
- 2021 Keep on moving forward together: Strategic Plan of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences FASoS, Maastricht University (with C. Neuhold and S. Wyatt).
- 2018 Über Frieden sprechen am Rande des Krieges: Lokale Zivilgesellschaft und Versöhnung in der Ostukraine, Ukraine Analysen, Nr. 202, May 2018 (with G. Bazilo).
- 2018 Human rights in Belarus: the EU’s role since 2016. Brussels: European Parliament, Human Rights Committee. https://doi.org/10.2861/329240 (with A. Guedes Vieira).
- 2014 The ENP as an instrument for building a security community? The Case of Moldova (Policy Brief). Oslo: Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (with D. Baltag).
- 2012 The EU and Belarus: perpetual tango all over again? (Policy Brief). Brussels: European Policy Centre.
- 2012 Quo Vadis Belarus? And where next for EU policy? (Policy Brief). Berlin: Institut für Europäische Politik.
- 2012 Belarus Reality Check 2012: Policy Review, Non-Paper. Vilnius: Eastern Europe Studies Centre (co-author).
- 2012 Public Briefing on Belarus, Foreign Affairs Committee of the European Parliament on Belarus (Live Broadcast, 12 January 2012).
- 2011 The EU’s Role in the Eastern Neighbourhood: Addressing the Decline of Democracy. (Policy Report). Helsinki: The Finnish Institute of International Affairs.
- 2011 Civil Society and young people in Belarus: A force for political change or ‘silent majority’? Brief Options for EU Policy for the Roundtable Conference: Democracy promotion East and South after the Arab Spring (Policy Brief). Brussels: Trans-European Policy Studies Association/ Institut für Europäische Politik.
- 2008 ENPI implementation: Belarus. (Policy Report). Brussels: Foreign Affairs Committee of the European Parliament (with A.V. Vieira).
MEDIA APPEARANCES (selection)
- Interview/ Podcast, Russia's war against Ukraine - one year on, Maastricht Diplomat/CERiM, February 2023.
- Interview: Sorting through democracy's arsenal, Maastricht University Magazine, November 2022.
- Interview: Hoe effectief zijn de sancties op Rusland? 'Enorme krimp die iedere Rus voelt', Interview: NPO1 Radio, May 2022.
- Interview: Oorlog in Oekraïne, De Stemming, Limburg L1, April 2022.
- Interview, Sollten die Ukraine und Moldawien der EU beitreten? Debating Europe, June 2022.
- Interview: The West has to make an impossible choice, Observant, Maastricht, March 2022.
- Interview: The logic and nonsense of Putin’s war, Maastricht University, March 2022.
- Interview /Podcast: Oekraïne. Lex Bohlmeijer in gesprek met Giselle Bosse, Podcast/Interview: De Correspondent, March 2022.
- Interview: Belarus sleurde een journalist uit een Europees vliegtuig. Hoe moet de EU optreden?, De Correspondent, June 2021.
GUEST LECTURES AND KEYNOTE SPEECHES (selection)
- 2021 Speech, EU-Belarus Relations, Policy Dialogue at European Policy Centre, Brussels, June.
- 2021 Public speech, Protests in Belarus, United Nations Association, Maastricht, March.
- 2020 Public speech, EU Democracy Promotion in Belarus, Leiden University, November.
- 2019 Opening speech, European Commission Eastern Partnership Conference: Promoting Common Values through Education and Culture, Tbilisi, June.
RESEARCH GRANTS (selection):
- Embracing Change: Overcoming obstacles and advancing democracy in the European Neighbourhood - EMBRACE: EU HORIZON €215.000, 2022-2025 (Co-applicant / Work Package Leader)
- Invigorating Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy for a Resilient Europe - InvigoratEU: EU HORIZON €200.000, 2024-2027 (Co-applicant / Work Package Leader)
- EU Politics in a Changing Global Context – CHANCE: Jean Monnet Chair, European Commission, €50.000, 2020 – 2023 (PI)
- Network on European Counter-Terrorism – EUCTER: Jean Monnet Network, European Commission €50.000, 2020 – 2023 (Co-applicant)
- Network on Commission’s political guidelines – RELAY: Jean Monnet Network, European Commission €25.000, 2020 – 2023 (Co-applicant)
- The influence of lobby groups on EU military operation 'Sophia': Refugees in Science (RiS/Hestia) Fellowship Grant, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) (Ref. 1154.18.037) €100.000, 2018 - 2020 (PI)
- Non-state actors in EU Foreign Policy: ASPASIA Grant, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) (Ref. 015.013.051) € 200.000, 2017 - 2023 (PI)
- Explaining Europe’s failure to deal with autocratic regimes: Which actors make and break effective democracy promotion? VENI Research Grant, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)(Ref. 451.12.015) € 250.000, 2013 - 2016 (PI)