Fundamental Rights Protection Online: The Future Regulation of Intermediaries
The purpose of the event will be to discuss the European legislative and judicial responses to the evolving role of online platforms (Facebook, Twitter, other social media, blogging platforms, as well as online hosting portals and search engines). While traditionally intermediaries were perceived as merely channeling content, is the increased use of algorithms effectively altering their function now, bringing them closer to actual controllers of content? Soft law measures (Code of Conduct) next to technical fixes (online tools) and stricter regulatory mechanisms akin to notice-and-take-down measures have begun to shape a complex regulatory landscape in which policy-makers, judges and private entities share powers. This one-day conference brings together academics, civil society and other stakeholders to discuss the future of speech in a digital age.
The conference is co-sponsored by Research Consortium Laws of Surveillance and Security, University of Helsinki.
8:30-9:00 Registration and Opening Remarks by Assistant Professor Bilyana Petkova (Maastricht University and Yale Information Society Project) and Professor Tuomas Ojanen (Director of Research Consortium Laws of Surveillance and Security, University of Helsinki)
9:00-9:30 Keynote Address: Freedom of Speech in a Digital Age by Dr. Gavin Philipson, Professor of Law, Durham Law School
9:30- 10:45 Conceptual Issues:
- Moderator: Assistant Professor Bilyana Petkova, Maastricht University
- Panellist Paolo Cesarini, Head of Unit, European Commission DG Connect
- Panellist Dr. Oreste Pollicino, Professor of Law, Bocconi University, Milan
- Panellist Dr. Joris Van Hoboken, Professor of Law, Free University of Brussels
- Panellist Ilia Maria Siatitsa, Research Fellow, Geneva Academy
10:45-11:00 Coffee Break
11:00-13:00 Case Studies: Italy, Germany and Austria:
- Moderator: Prof. Mark Cole, University of Luxembourg
- Panellist Dr. Marco Bassini, Postdoctoral Fellow, Bocconi University
- Panellist Dr. Thomas Wischmeyer, Assistant Professor, University of Bielefeld
- Panellist Eliska Pirkova, PhD candidate, University of Helsinki
14:00-15:30 Toward a European Approach? E-Commerce Directive, EU Code of Conduct & CJEU Case Law on Intermediaries
- Moderator: Tuomas Ojanen, University of Helsinki
- Panellist Dr. Sophie Stalla-Bourdillon, Associate Professor, Southampton Law School
- Panellist Teresa Quintel and Carsten Ulrich, University of Luxembourg
- Panellist Dr. Alberto Miglio, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Turin
15:30-15:45 Coffee Break
15:45-17:00 The Way Ahead: Discussion Panel
- Moderator: Cosimo Monda, Director, Maastricht European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Panellists Joe McNamee, Executive Director, European Digital Rights – The Copyright Directive
- Panellist Karmen Turk, Attorney-at-Law, Partner at Triniti – Estonia - Council of Europe Recommendations
- Panellist Jens Kremer, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki – Impact Assessments
- Panellist Rolf Dyrnes Svendsen, Executive Committee Member of Wan-Infra (World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers)
17:00-17:15 Closing Remarks
How to get to the UM Campus Brussels
Metro: from the Central station take the purple metro line 1 leading to Stockel and get off at ‘Montgomery’. Take exit ‘Boulevard de Saint-Michel / Avenue de Tervueren 1-171 and then turn right. The UM Campus Brussels will be after 30 meters on your left hand.
Brussels Airport: take bus 12 or bus 21 that both cover the area between Brussels Airport and the city center. In both cases, get off at ‘Diamant’ and take the tram line 23 or 24 both in the direction of ‘Vanderkindere’ or take line 25 in the direction of Boondaal Station. Get off at ‘Montgomery’. Take exit ‘Boulevard de Saint-Michel / Avenue de Tervueren 1-171 and then turn right. The UM Campus Brussels will be after 30 meters on your left hand.
05 Oct 06 Oct09:00 - 21:30
We are excited to announce that the Group for Research on European and International Taxation (GREIT) will hold its conference “National (Tax) Autonomy and the European Union: Revival or Demise?” on 5 and 6 October 2023 at Maastricht University.
26 Oct 27 Oct09:00 - 17:00
Crises, Challenges, and the Future of Public Law
The newly founded ICON-S Benelux Chapter will organize its Inaugural Conference on 26-27 October 2023. The conference will take place in Maastricht (NL), hosted by Maastricht University - Faculty of Law, with a fully in-person program of panels...
26 Oct12:00 - 19:00
Enhancing sustainable business and corporate regulation in the EU