The GDPR and International Organisations: Issues of EU Law and Public International Law
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has implications for the work of international organisations, which raises fundamental questions about the relationship between EU law and public international law. Bringing together data protection experts and prominent experts from the worlds of both EU law and international law, this workshop will examine legal issues concerning the impact of the GDPR on international organisations.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED!
Co-Organised by Maastricht University (European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity) – Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB/Brussels Privacy Hub) – K.U. Leuven (Institute for European Law).
Program of the Conference
9:30 Coffee and registration
10:15 Opening session: A dialogue between EU law and international law
- Prof. Dr. August Reinisch, University of Vienna and UN International Law Commission
- Peter Hustinx, former European Data Protection Supervisor
- Discussion moderated by Prof. Christopher Kuner
11:30 Coffee break
11:45 Views from a public international law perspective: could the GDPR apply to IOs?
Moderator: Prof. Marise Cremona, European University Institute
- Prof. Bruno de Witte, Maastricht University
- Prof. Jan Klabbers, University of Helsinki
- Prof. Geert van Calster, K.U. Leuven
13:00 Lunch (provided at the venue)
14:00 The GDPR and IOs: what rules apply?
Moderator: Dr. Jörg Polakiewicz, Council of Europe
- Bruno Gencarelli, European Commission (DG JUST)
- Dr. Matthias Schmidl, Deputy Director, Austrian DPA
- Massimo Marelli, International Committee of the Red Cross
- Claire Jervis, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office
15:15 Coffee break
15:30 The way forward
Moderator: Wojciech Wiewiórowski, European Data Protection Supervisor
- Christina Vasala Kokkinaki, International Organization for Migration
- Caroline Goemans-Dorny, INTERPOL
- Anna Buchta, EDPS
- Prof. Gloria Gonzalez Fuster, VUB
- Alisa Vekeman, European Commission (DG JUST)
16:45 Closing remarks: Prof. Christopher Kuner and Dr. Herke Kranenborg
17:00 End of program
Discussants from the audience
Zuzanna Gulczyńska, FWO Fellow, University of Ghent
Pieter Aertgeerts, K.U. Leuven
NOTE: All discussions are confidential and subject to the Chatham House Rule.
This conference is supported by ALTEP-DP, a project funded by the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).