Hylke Dijkstra (H.)
Dr Hylke Dijkstra is an Associate Professor (Universitair Hoofddocent) and the Director of the Research Programme Politics and Culture in Europe at Maastricht University, The Netherlands. He is also the Principal Investigator of an ERC research project on the decline and death of international organizations. He is furthermore the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Contemporary Security Policy and work-package leader in the Horizon 2020-funded JOINT project.
Hylke Dijkstra is a member of the Standing Committee on European Integration of the Advisory Council on International Affairs (Adviesraad Internationale Vraagstukken), the Board of the Dutch Political Science Association, the Advisory Council of the Netherlands Institute of Governance, and the Steering Committee of the OSCE Network of Academic Institutions.
Hylke Dijkstra holds a PhD in Political Science (cum laude) from Maastricht. He read Contemporary European Studies (MPhil) in Cambridge. He was previously a Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Oxford, where he was also affiliated to Nuffield College. He was also work-package leader in the Horizon 2020-funded EU-CIVCAP project, Programme Director of the MA in European Studies, and board member of the Maastricht University Brussels Campus.
Hylke Dijkstra has published extensively on international organizations, including the European Union, NATO and the United Nations, in Cooperation and Conflict, European Journal of International Relations, Global Governance, Global Policy, International Peacekeeping, Journal of European Integration, Journal of European Public Policy and The Review of International Organizations. He is author of International Organization (with Rittberger/Zangl/Kruck) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019), International Organizations and Military Affairs (Routledge, 2016) and Policy-Making in EU Security and Defense (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
Hylke Dijkstra is the winner of the 2008 prize for best article in European Foreign Affairs Review for scholars under the age of thirty-five. For his dissertation, he received the Otto von der Gablentz Academic Prize and the G.A. Van Poelje Prize.
- Associate Professor (UHD), Maastricht University (2019-date)
- Assistant Professor, Maastricht University (2012-2019; tenure since 2015)
- Marie Curie Research Fellow, University of Oxford (2012-2014)
- Non-stipendiary Research Fellow, Nuffield College (2012-2014)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Maastricht University (2011-2012)
- PhD in Political Science, Maastricht University, cum laude (2007-2011)
- MPhil in Contemporary European Studies, University of Cambridge (2006-2007)
- BA in European Studies, Maastricht University (2002-2005)
- BSc in International Economics, Maastricht University (2001-2005)
Honours and Awards
- G.A. van Poelje Annual Prize for best dissertation in Public Administration (2013)
- Otto van der Gablentz Academic Prize for best dissertation on European integration (2012)
- Annual prize for best article published in the European Foreign Affairs Review by a scholar under the age of thirty-five (2009)
Major research grants
- Co-applicant, EU Horizon 2020, Europe in a changing world, JOINT (2021-2024)
- Principal Investigator, ERC Starting Grant (2019-2023)
- Co-applicant, EU Horizon 2020 Secure Societies, EU-CIVCAP (2015-2018)
- Applicant, EU FP7, Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship (2012-2014)
- Director of the Research Programme "Politics and Culture in Europe" (2020-date).
- Member, Advisory Council on International Affairs (2019-date).
- Member, Advisory Council of the Netherlands Institute of Governance (2021-date).
- Member, Steering Committee of OSCE Network (2022-2023).
- Member, CDA Commissie Buitenland (2022-2026).
- Board member, Dutch Political Science Association (2019-date).
- Editor-in-Chief, Contemporary Security Policy (2016-date).
- Board member, Maastricht University Brussels Campus (2017-2021).
- Director of the MA in European Studies (2018-2020).
- Member of core planning team developing a new BA in Digital Society (2017-2019).
- Admissions panel, MPhil in Politics, University of Oxford (2013)
- Campus Brussels Steering Group FASoS (2010-2011).
- Co-founder and co-chair of the European Studies alumni platform Brussels (2007-2010).
- PhD Representative for the Netherlands Institute of Government (2008-2010).
- Faculty Advisor EuroSim (2008-2010).
Organisation of events
- Co-organizer ERC workshop "Decline and Death of International Organizations", Brussels (2020).
- Co-organizer workshop "EU and the crisis of multilateralism", Maastricht (2019).
- Co-organizer workshop "EU Civilian Capability for Conflict Prevention and Peacekeeping", Brussels (2017).
- Co-organizer workshop "Internal and External EU Security Perspectives", Brussels (2016).
- Co-organizer workshop "Explaining Authority in International Organizations", Brussels (2014).
- Co-organizer workshop "Authority and Control in International Organizations" at ECPR Joint Sessions, Salamanca (2014).
- Co-organizer workshop "Secretariats of International Organizations", Oxford (2013)
- Co-chair section "International Organisations in Times of Crisis" at 8th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Warsaw (2013).
- Co-organizer workshop "Bureaucracy and the European Security and Defence Policy", Maastricht (2009).