A stronger Europe in the world: Resilience-building in the EU's eastern neighbourhood before and after the Russian war against Ukraine
RELAY is a project funded by the Erasmus+ Jean Monnet programme that aims at discussing the European Commission’s political priorities with a diverse array of stakeholders. It is coordinated by Maastricht University Campus Brussels and includes several academic and non-academic partners. It aims to make the process of EU integration more tangible and to more closely involve citizens; both when it comes to the internal and external dimension of the EU. EU affairs are defined as issues that are closely related to some of the challenges and priorities the EU is currently facing, in the context of political turmoil and change.
This online thematic workshop is organised by the Centre for European Research in Maastricht - CERiM. It will be dedicated to the European Commission’s political priority ‘A stronger Europe in the world’, and discuss it from the perspective of resilience-building in the EU's eastern neighbourhood before and after the Russian war against Ukraine.
11:00 | Zoom Session Opens
11:15 | Opening
Introduction to the RELAY conference and the Special Issue publication, Dr Giselle Bosse (University of Maastricht) & Prof Christian Kaunert (University of South Wales) & Dr Alena Vieira (University of Minho)
11:30-13:00 | Panel 1 EU resilience, crisis management and security
- Resilience in practice: EU crisis management projects in Eastern Partnership countries, Dr Michal Natorski, Assistant Professor, Maastricht University
- EU crisis thinking and its pursuit for resilience in the Eastern Neighbourhood, Dr. Cristian Nitoiu, Lecturer in Diplomacy and International Governance, University of Loughborough
- Enhancing integration and security through connectivity: the case of EU-Ukraine relation, Dr Kristi Raik, Director of the Estonian Foreign Policy Institute
13:00 - 14:00 | Lunch Break
14:00 - 15:30 | Panel 2 The many faces of resilience
- Resilient people vs resilient autocracy? The many faces of 'resilience' in EU relations with Belarus, Dr Giselle Bosse (University of Maastricht) & Dr Alena Vieira (University of Minho)
- Fanning the Flames? An exploration of EU discourse on culture in the Eastern Partnership, Domenico Valenza, PhD Fellow, Ghent University and UNU-CRIS
- EU Eastern Partnership, Ontological Security and EU- Ukraine/Russian warfare, Prof. Christian Kaunert (Dublin City University & University of South Wales) & Dr Joana de Deus Pereira (University of South Wales)