Join the UM Community's Brussels marathon running team to raise funds to research!
Parc du Cinquantenaire
Are you looking for motivation to start running regularly? How about a half-marathon, or even a full one? And for a good cause!
Now that spring is finally upon us, UM Campus Brussels and the Alumni Office of Maastricht University invite you to join Running4Research, the team under which the UM community will participate in the Brussels marathon and half-marathon on Sunday 6 October 2019.
Here’s some of the many reasons for you to join the team!
- It’s fun
- It’ll help you keep healthy
- You’ll raise awareness about the importance of scientific research
- You’ll contribute to raising funds for these three projects:
Endometriosis Research: endometriosis affects an estimated 1 in 10 women during their reproductive years (ie. usually between the ages of 15 to 49), which is approximately 176 million women in the world. There is no known cause of endometriosis but it is highly likely that certain genes predispose women to develop the disease.
Brain Damage Research: intensive care units treat many patients with serious brain damage. Despite current treatment, most patients leave the hospital severely handicapped. Scientists at Maastricht University Medical Centre are researching new treatments aimed at accurately matching brain function and the blood flow through the brain to the needs of individual patients. We expect that this new method of treatment will help many patients function considerably better. The new treatments are customized, which means that they are adapted to suit the individual.
Transgender Studies Research: this research is part of a PhD study about the neurobiology and sexual wellbeing of transgender persons. This study aims to monitor a group of transgender people through the different phases of their gender transition. The focus will be on 3 main factors: brain structure and brain function, self-perception and sexual wellbeing. This research strives to discover to what extent these factors contribute to general welfare and happiness during the transition. As there is a high depression and suicidal rate among this group, research on this field is needed.
I’m in! What do I do?
Great, welcome to the team! We’ve already created the Maastricht University Running4Research Brussels marathon and half-marathon group. So go to the marathon registration page and join the team in the process! This is our team code: MAAS15122 (your team will be the same irrespective of whether you run the marathon or the half-marathon).
Please make sure to register by 1 May 2019 and kindly send an email to campusbrussels[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl informing the staff that you’ve done so. They will then confirm that everything is in order. Voilà !
Is that all?
Of course not! There’s a few more things to keep in mind:
- Side-event: there will be an event at UM Campus Brussels on the day of the race with snacks, pictures and music!
- Training days: if schedules and weather permit, we’ll help you organise training days with people of similar levels.
- Fundraising: we want this fundraiser to be a huge success, and that can only be if we all join forces. The fundraiser’s website will be up and running in August. We’ll let you know once it’s operational – all you will need to do then is make a donation to one of the three projects and spread the word among friends, family and beyond to raise as much funds as possible!
- Institutional sponsorship: can your organisation donate? Would they like to sponsor our team’s t-shirt? That’s possible as well! You can contact the Alumni Office for details about institutional donations/sponsorship at alumni[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl
This is it for now! If you have any questions, please contact the UM Campus Brussels team at campusbrussels[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl, or stop by their office in Avenue de Tervueren 153!
Looking forward to Running4Research together,
The UM Campus Brussels and Alumni Office teams