UM Academic Achievement Scholarship
UM financially supports academically top-performing UM bachelor students from non-EU/EEA countries to continue their studies in a master study programmes at UM. This in order to reward academic achievement and stimulate ambassadorship via continuous bonds with the UM community.
The UM Academic Achievement Scholarship covers the difference between the institutional and statutory tuition fee. Per faculty, one UM Academic Achievement Scholarship is offered per academic year.
Target group: UM bachelor students from non-EU/EEA countries with proven academic excellence that have been (conditionally) admitted to a master study programme at UM.
Who is eligible?
Duration of the UM Academic Achievement Scholarship
Amount of the UM Academic Achievement Scholarship programme 2023-2024
Who is eligible?
All candidates must meet the following requirements:
- You hold the nationality of a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland and meet the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and residence permit for the Netherlands
- You do not hold a double nationality from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland
- You have completed or are in the process of completing your bachelor studies at UM with an average GPA of at least 8.0
- You are not older than 35 years of age on 1 September 2023
You agree to become an UM ambassador during and after your studies, by committing to share your experiences during at least one (information) session for students and/or other stakeholders
- You have have been (conditionally) admitted to one of the participating master programmes at UM for the 2023-2024 academic year
The deadline has passed, you can no longer apply for this scholarship
Duration of the UM Academic Achievement Scholarship
Amount of the UM Academic Achievement Scholarship 2023-2024
Step 1: Register for one of the participating master programmes at UM
You will need a student number in order to complete and submit the Scholarship Application Form (see Step 2 below).
- Please note: only the master programmes in the list above are eligible for a UM UM Academic Achievement Scholarship.
- Please note: you can apply for the master programme at UM and the scholarship simultaneously. However, you must be conditionally approved for admission to your master programme in order to be awarded a scholarship.
Step 2: Please fill in the application form, you need to log in with your UM account
You can find the application form here (the application is closed, you can no longer apply for this scholarship). Upload the following documents in .doc, .docx or PDF format, and submit your application. Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents and referee contact details are up-to-date. If you have applied for multiple UM study programmes, the UM International Services Desk will ensure that your complete scholarship application is considered for all eligible programmes for which you have a conditionally approved or approved admissions status.
- Curriculum Vitae
Your CV should be up-to-date, contain relevant information about your education and (job) experience, and should not be longer than two A4 pages. Please emphasise proven previous extracurricular engagement with you previous (academic) organisation and active citizenship in your community.
- Letter of motivation
Please use the template for the motivation letter. This template will focus on your motivation for the scholarship.
- Proof of academic excellence
A GPA of at least 8.0 as demonstrated by your latest grade transcript. If several applicants are equally qualified, UM will give preference to applicants who can showcase previous extracurricular engagement and active citizenship during their studies.
Personal statement of financial needs
Please explain why you would benefit from being awarded a scholarship and describe your personal circumstances such as financial difficulty, sole parent/caretaking responsibilities, medical condition, disability, refugee status, et cetera.
A reference letter
We have prepared scholarship reference letter guidelines; please print these out or forward them to your referee, as they will help your referee to write a good reference letter on your behalf. Please note that referees must be (former) professors, lecturers, or employers, and not family members. Recommendation letters should be dated and written no earlier than February 2022. Letters which do not agree with the guidelines are not taken into account, which means your application is incomplete.
- The contact details of one referee.
Please note that we might check the authenticity of your referee by contacting your referee. Therefore, ensure that you take the following steps when choosing a referee and submitting their details:
- Relationship to applicant; indicate your referee’s connection to you. Is this your professor, thesis supervisor, employer? Please remember that family members may not function as referees.
- Work telephone number of your referee; be sure to include the applicable country calling code.
- Work or institutional email address of your referee. Letters referencing only a personal email address will be rejected.
Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents and referee contact details are up-to-date.
|Step 1||Register for a master
programme via Studielink.nl
|Step 2||Fill out the application form
You need to log in with your UM account
Step 1: The UM International Services Desk checks if all applications are complete after 1 May 2023.
Step 2: The UM International Services Desk sends all complete applications to the respective UM Faculty in May 2023.
Step 3: The Faculty Admission Office - in cooperation with the respective programme coordinator(s) - ranks your application and proposes a top-5 to the Faculty UM Academic Achievement Scholarship selection committee.
Step 4: The Faculty UM Academic Achievement Scholarship selection committee (composed of a representative of the respective Faculty Board, AA internationalisation, UM Scholarship Office and D&I Office) takes a joint decision, taking into account the UM scholarship selection guidelines. Two applicants are added to a reserve list in case the selected candidate declines the scholarship.
Step 5: The UM International Services Desk will inform all candidates of their application status in July 2023. Your status will be selected, waitlisted or rejected by the beginning of July 2023 at the latest. Waitlisted application statuses will be changed to selected or rejected by July 2023..
Step 6: You must sign and return the award letter to the UM International Services Desk to accept the scholarship.