IDS Open Application
Is there no suiting vacancy for you at the Institute of Data Science at the moment? And are you interested in an internship, PhD position or other data science position?
You can then send in an open application by submitting your CV and cover letter to info-ids[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl.
Fully funded PhD candidate position in Knowledge Graphs at Scale
The Institute of Data Science at Maastricht University is seeking applications for a fully funded PhD student position to develop computational methods for scalable and reusable knowledge graphs. This positions is supported through a Marie-Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network for the project KnowGraphs: Knowledge Graphs at Scale (project #860801), which will recruit 15 PhD positions in total.
Knowledge graphs (KGs) is a flexible knowledge representation paradigm intended for knowledge capture and utilisation by humans and machines. Hence, they are key enablers for a number of technologies including question answering, personal assistants and artificial intelligence, and are used by several large companies including Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Samsung, Ebay and IBM. However, substantive challenges exist, both technical as well as legal, in their formulation, interoperability, and deployment that preclude their widespread use. The overall objective of KnowGraphs is to scale knowledge graphs to be accessible to a wide audience of companies of all sizes, and to enable their use by end users across their professional and private life by using a multi-disciplinary and multisectorial approach.
The successful candidate will be involved in the development of new systems, methods, and specifications to discover, analyze, and use knowledge graphs.
- Work with a multi-stakeholder team to discuss research problems;
- Develop computational methods for the preparation, analysis, and dissemination of knowledge graphs;
- Validate developed methods using synthetic and real world data;
- Communicate the results of the research to stakeholders and target groups;
- Write scientific papers for international peer-reviewed conferences and journals;
- Present your work in international conferences;
- Provide teaching assistance in undergraduate and master’s courses;
- Participate in off-site internships;
- Finalise the work in a PhD thesis.
- MSc degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence or equivalent;
- Training and/or experience with big data technologies, machine learning, deep learning, and data mining algorithms;
- Demonstrable affinity with the topic;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Excellent oral and written English communication;
- Relocate to Maastricht for the bulk of the work and to relocate within Europe for 2 short term internships with KnowGraph partners;
- Complies with MC ITN Mobility Rule: Researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- We offer a rewarding career at a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative research and education;
- The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO), supplement with local UM provisions. For more information on terms of employment, please visit our website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > Support > UM employees;
- We offer a 4 year full-time appointment as PhD candidate. The first year will be a probation period, after a positive assessment the position will be extended for another 3 years. Start date as soon as possible;
- Remuneration will be according to according to standard salary levels for PhD students starting with a salary of €2.325,- with a yearly growth to €2.972,- gross a month, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours/week);
- On top of this, there is an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end of the year allowance;
- We offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, optional model for designing a personalised benefits package, sport facilities which staff may use at a modest charge and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
- We provide a stimulating, collaborative and interdisciplinary work environment with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development;
- Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe.