Brexit FAQ

The United Kingdom’s exit from the EU will also have an impact on higher education. Please note that there is still a high degree of uncertainty around future relations. Although utmost care was taken in compiling the information below, no rights can be derived from this document.

All dates mentioned concerning residency remain the same until further notice from the Dutch government.


Prospective & current students from the UK

Brexit may have consequences for your tuition fee, insurances, student financing and residence permit.  In case of a No-deal Brexit (without withdrawal agreement from the EU), the consequences will be different than in case of a Deal Brexit (a withdrawal agreement between the EU and the UK).

What happens in case of a ‘No-Deal Brexit’ ?

If you are a UK citizen already registered in the Netherlands on 31 October 2019 in the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP) of your municipality, you can complete your studies with the same rights as an EU citizen. You will continue to pay statutory tuition fee (i.e. that same as EU citizens) and retain the right to apply for tuition fee loans and student financing if you meet all the necessary requirements.  

You can even continue into a master’s programme under the same conditions in your bachelor’s programme, so long as you stay registered (BRP) in the Netherlands after receiving your bachelor’s degree.

If you are an exchange student at Maastricht University (UM) in the Erasmus + programme, you will most likely be able to complete your stay and receive financial support.

If you are a high school student with UK citizenship already registered in the Netherlands on 31 October 2019, you can retain your EU rights so long as you remain registered in the Netherlands.

Note that, if you have registered with the Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), you should have received a letter from the IND informing you about your rights and those of your family members registered in the Netherlands. In case you haven’t received them for whatever reason, you can find them online. Your rights and duties differ depending on whether you have a national permanent residence permit   or whether you don’t 

If you are a UK citizen not registered in the Netherlands on 29 March 2019, you will be treated as a non-EEA citizen from then on. That means you will need to pay institutional tuition fees and require a visa. The Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs   supplies relevant information and forms in English.

What happens in case of Brexit with a transitional deal?

If the UK and EU come to a Brexit agreement, there will be a transitional period from until 31 December 2020 (which might be further extended by two years), until future relations have been negotiated. During this period, you will be able to study under the same conditions as an EU citizen. Your rights after that period will depend on the outcome of the negotiations. In the worst case, you will be treated as a non-EEA citizen. Even in this case, the Dutch government and universities might decide to allow British citizens to finish their studies under unchanged conditions – as they have in case of a “No-Deal Brexit”.

UM students in or going to the UK

Currently, it is very difficult to predict which consequences Brexit will have for UM students intending to go to the UK for internships, joint programmes, exchange programmes or other study-related activities. We suggest you discuss your plans with your international relations officer.


In case of a transitional period, you should, in theory, be able to complete your stay as planned if it is scheduled to end before 31 December 2020. In a "no-deal" scenario, UM students in the UK or planning on going to the UK within the framework of the Erasmus + exchange programme would in principle no longer have the right to remain in the UK or receive the grant. The European Commission has taken steps to ameliorate those potential consequences (see EC press release  ). The future position of the UK in the programme is subject to further negotiations.

If your Erasmus + exchange in the UK is due to commence after 31 October 2019, your legal situation is not yet clear. The EC has further information on how Brexit will impact the Erasmus + programme.

Health Insurance

As a UK citizen in the Netherlands, will I have access to Dutch healthcare after Brexit?

You retain the right to Dutch healthcare, but you may have to take out insurance yourself.

In case of Brexit with a transitional deal

According to the agreements in the transitional deal currently proposed, UK citizens would have healthcare in the Netherlands.

In case of a ‘No-Deal Brexit’ 

Whether you are still insured or not depends on your individual situation. UK citizens working for a Dutch employer in the Netherlands and who pay taxes in the Netherlands are insured according to the Health Insurance Act (Zvw). You are also automatically insured under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz). However, you must take out health insurance yourself.

In addition, there are categories of people who are currently insured in the Netherlands on the basis of EU law; for example, if you live in the Netherlands and receive a British pension.

In any case, Maastricht University strongly advises you check the consequences of Brexit on your healthcare insurance.

Staff from the UK

UK nationals working at Maastricht University on the date of Brexit, and UK nationals planning to work at Maastricht University after Brexit can contact the Knowledge Centre for International Staff if they have any questions.

tel: +31 43 3883081