In principle, Maastricht University employees are free to choose where they wish to live, but the Executive Board may require them to move to the Maastricht University work location area. The Maastricht University work location area comprises a surrounding of 40 kilometres between the work location and home address (ANWB-routeplanner – shortest way, only in Dutch).
The requirement of relocation to the work location area entitles the employee, on conditions, to receive an allowance.
The main conditions for the employee to receive the allowance for removal are:
- you maintain an own household
- you do not already live within the work location area of Maastricht University
- you will move within one year
- you have an employment contract for at least two years.
The allowance consists of:
- the cost of packing and unpacking the household effects and transferring them to the new house. Further conditions apply, including a maximum number of cubic metres that qualify for reimbursement
- the costs for any double housing expenses. This allowance is based on the cost for housing for a maximum period of twelve months, with a set maximum
- an allowance for all other costs related to the relocation, to the amount of €7,445.00, without regard to the part-time-factor.
If you are required to relocate and you do not maintain your own household you may be eligible for an allowance for all other costs related to the relocation to the amount of € 500.00.
The full relocation allowance must be returned to Maastricht University if the employee resigns within one year after the relocation, or is dismissed for reasons or circumstances of his/her own doing.
For more information about relocation and removal companies contact the Human Resources Department and fill out the Relocation cost allowance application form. In the event that several members of a family or equivalent form of cohabitation are entitled to a relocation allowance, the allowance will be granted to just one of them.
If you think you are entitled to receive an allowance, please read the complete text of the 'Commuting and Relocation Allowance Regulations'.