Basic guidelines for developing mobile apps
The following rules and procedures apply to any external party that builds apps for Maastricht University (UM). All UM apps are published on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Before any app is published, UM performs a quality check.
Code of conduct
To comply with our code of conduct, follow the following steps:
- Fill out the form 'Registration of Processing of Personal Data'. In this form, you specify what information is collected by whom and for what purpose. Submit this form to your contact person at UM or the Information Manager of the respective faculty or service centre. The Information Manager will provide you the data classification scheme required for a risk assessment based on the data you intend to process. Depending on the results you will need to implement security measures in order to continue.
- Sign the 'Data Processing Agreement'. This is only necessary if you do not use your own facilities to store the data you process from and for your end-users. If you also host or store the data on your own facilities, you will need a contractual agreement with the faculty dean or service centre.
The UM Digital Innovations team has in-house developers, designers and content creators. If necessary, we can give you technical support while you are developing the app. To do so, we need the following (upon request or upfront, depending on the nature of the app):
- Up-to-date source code with in-code documentation on a private GitHub repository
- Details about the backend, hosting provider and contractual terms
- In case of Software as a Service, specified delegated access and/or full access
- Guarantees that the backend complies with legal requirements
- Test and performance reports, depending on the app and backend service
General work agreement
Working with UM means you accept the following terms and conditions or practices:
- We sign, compile and publish the app. We don't accept signed and compiled files sent by the developer.
- You will commit to a Service Level Agreement in which we agree on updates, bug fixes, using persona's or cases, project description, among others.
- We will also create a custom agreement in which we state what each party does and if expected to do.
- To limit the time and cost of code views, we currently only support hybrid apps that use a certain framework (in our case Ionic).
- The Digital Innovations team will be in touch with other developers and companies to maintain a realistic price and perform quality control checks.
Design and content
Your design must fit the UM house style.
- Apply the UM house style (e.g. colour scheme, logo schematics, font type)
- Follow standard design patterns
- Follow UM editorial guidelines
If you have any questions about the UM house style, please contact Mariken van Meteren at m.vanmeteren[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl.