Arranging your stay abroad

Establish a clear goal for yourself. Why do you want to go abroad? What do you want to study there? And what would you like to achieve? Once you know this, you can decide which destination best fits your goal. There are many options. You can participate in an exchange programme or find a place yourself. Please make sure to check whether it fits into your schedule: study periods are not always synchronised across universities.

Most students go abroad during their second or their third year of study. By then you will have finished most of the required courses and you often know which courses best fit your goals and ambitions.

Contact the International Relations Office

Your faculty's International Relations Office can provide you with information about your options. They have an overview of all UM partner institutions and can tell you whether there is an exchange programme that matches your goals. They can also advise you about the progress of your study. It is important that your time abroad counts towards your diploma, so that you don't encounter delays.

Overview of International Relations Offices
International Relations Office Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering (DKE)
International Relations Office FASoS
International Relations Office FHML
International Relations Office FPN
International Relations Office LAW
International Relations Office SBE
International Relations Office Maastricht Science Programme (MSP)
International Relations Office University College Maastricht (UCM)
International Relations Office Maastricht University College Venlo (UCV)

Check whether this will cause a delay to your study

If you participate in an exchange programme with a partner university, the results you achieve there will usually count towards your degree. Would you prefer to go abroad outside an established programme? Then first discuss your plans with your study adviser and your contact person abroad. Your study adviser will submit your plans to the Board of Examiners.

Request permission from the Board of Examiners or the Education Director

You always need permission from the Board of Examiners or Education Director. They will determine whether you may participate in a particular exchange programme. If you arrange your stay and programme abroad, the Board of Examiners or Education Director will determine whether you will get credits for your courses, internship or thesis. The Board of Examiners will record everything in a study agreement before you leave.

Check whether a scholarship is available

Since studying abroad costs more, scholarships and funds are available. Most scholarships are intended for a specific group of students. So please check whether you meet all the conditions before you decide to apply for a scholarship.

Take a look at a few of the well-known scholarships for outgoing students.