School of Health Professions Education
The School of Health Professions Education (SHE) is a graduate school focused on health professions education. SHE plays a leading role in research of health professions education and in the translation of research insights to education and innovations.
SHE is a leading hub for research and innovation of Health Professions Education (HPE) worldwide in a broad and global network of healthcare practitioners, researchers, educationalists and policy developers who share a passion of the development of HPE.
Excellent healthcare requires evidence-informed models for the education of future and current healthcare professionals. Through research, education, and innovation SHE works towards a world in which all healthcare professionals are well educated and in the best position to contribute to high quality care.
- Graduate school in health professions education
- SHE education programmes set the basis for improved, quality healthcare services
- 45 years of experience in student-centered learning in medicine
- Collaborations around the globe
- Led by Prof. Pim Teunissen
SHE is active in three core domains
SHE connects HPE research to educational activities, consultancy, innovation and impactful global projects. Through a combination of research, education and international collaboration activities, we contribute to preparing (future) healthcare professionals for the challenges ahead. We generate knowledge and insights that inform health professions education and practice change through three interconnected core activity domains.
- SHE Research. Research on education in the health professions is crucial to increase our understanding on how to optimally prepare healthcare professionals for and support them in their vital work. Through high-quality research, SHE studies important challenges in all areas of health professions education. Our research contributes to improvements and innovations in health professions education and beyond. That is how SHE/Research contributes to the best-possible healthcare for everyone, everywhere.
- SHE Collaborates. SHE Collaborates offers a tailored approach to innovative training and consulting in the areas of education, management and research on a global scale. The aim is to promote improvement in health professions education practices worldwide through collaboration with partners from a variety of disciplines, educational backgrounds and cultures. SHE Collaborates' tailor-made capacity building activities, together with those of SHE Research and SHE Educates, work towards a borderless world in which all healthcare professionals are well educated and in the best position to contribute to high-quality care.
- SHE Educates. Education is the core business of SHE. We offer a range of postgraduate courses and degree programmes about health professions education, using and applying lessons learned from SHE Research and SHE Collaborates. Our mission is to inspire you to further improve and innovate your teaching and your curricula.
Task-Centered Learning Research
- Goals, values, innovation and approaches to evaluation
- Approaches to instruction
- Approaches to assessment
- Approaches to implementation
SHE scientific director
SHE Collaborates managing director
SHE Educates director
SHE works in close cooperation with the Maastricht University Medical Center+ (MUMC+). MUMC+ is known both nationally and internationally for its focus on prevention and taking an integrated approach to health care: from prevention, promotion of good health, and basic care, to top-level clinical diagnostics and treatment. Patient safety is our top priority in all of our endeavours. MUMC+ is part of The Netherlands Federation of University Medical Centres.