Postdoctoral Fellow - FAIR principles in Data Science
The Institute of Data Science (IDS) at Maastricht University in the Netherlands invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow position on FAIR principles in Data Science. The postdoc will specifically focus on research in support of the FAIR principles to establish an Internet of FAIR resources that are maximally Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reproducible (FAIR).
The postdoctoral fellow will perform cutting-edge research in methods and applications related to data science. The postdoc will specifically focus on research in support of the FAIR principles to establish an Internet of FAIR resources that are maximally Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reproducible. In the short term, the postdoc will develop different metrics and a framework to assess the FAIRness of digital resources. In the long term, the postdoc will be involved in FAIR-focused research projects and grant writing. We are looking for independent researchers who will pursue research and teaching in an intellectually vibrant and multi-disciplinary environment.
- PhD in data science, computer science, statistics, mathematics, bioinformatics, biomedical informatics, artificial intelligence, or equivalent
- Familiarity with FAIR principles
- Excellent scientific background and strong publication record
- Good programming skills (python, R, java)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Excellent oral and written English communication
- (distributed) machine learning
- natural language processing
- knowledge representation and automated reasoning
- data quality assessment methods and techniques
- research data management
- linked data and ontologies
- open science
Conditions of employment
- 38 hours per week;
- The position is initially offered for one year, subject to evaluation and funding, the position is eligible for extension;
- Salary is competitive, and will be set in scale 10, depending on qualifications and work experience of the collective labour agreement of the Dutch Universities (expected minimum € 2.588,- and maximum € 4.084) for a full-time job (38 hours/week). On top of this, there is an 8% holiday and an 8.3% year-end allowance;
- In addition, we offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, parental leave packages, attractive retirement benefits and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
- We offer you a stimulating working environment with excellent facilities for professional and personal development;
- You will join a team led by distinguished Professor Michel Dumontier, who was one of the founders of the FAIR principles.
- Our international network has researchers coming from a variety of departments, but we are a community linked by the power and potential of Data Science.
- We provide you with a collaborative, entrepreneurial research environment where innovation and cross-disciplinary research are the norm.
- The position is embedded in a lively and creative working environment. Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe;
- The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO), supplement with local UM provisions. For more information on terms of employment, please visit our website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > Support > UM employees.
Contract type: Temporary, 3 years
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 16,300 students and 4,300 employees. Reflecting the university's strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Data Science Community @ Maastricht University
Data Science@Maastricht University is a pioneering, university-wide network of data-driven researchers with more than 25 years’ experience in data science education and research. Our community consists of multidisciplinary teams that address significant scientific problems and major societal issues through and related to data science including social, legal and ethical concerns in a wide range of academic disciplines. The Data Science@ UM community is expanding with at least 10 new positions in 2018 including these postdoc positions.
Institute of Data Science @ Maastricht University
The Institute of Data Science (IDS) at Maastricht University is a recently established center led by professor Michel Dumontier. IDS is an interfaculty institute consisting of a core team of data science experts that cooperate closely with researchers across disciplines such as medicine, life sciences, social sciences and humanities, business and economics, knowledge engineering and smart services. The mission of the Institute is to accelerate scientific discovery, improve clinical care & well-being, and strengthen communities by fostering a collaborative environment for interdisciplinary research and training based on accurate, scalable, and reproducible computation.
Applicants are asked to apply via Academic Transfer. It is intended to fill this position as soon as possible.
Informal inquiries concerning this position can be directed to: Distinguished Professor Data Science, Michel Dumontier, email@example.com; Programme Manager Institute of Data Science, dr. Claudia van Oppen: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vacancy text udpated: 22/07/2018