Marie Rickert (M.L.)
Marie Rickert is a PhD candidate at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Maastricht University and the Institute of Dutch Philology, University of Münster. She researches language socialisation in kindergartens on both sides of the German-Dutch border. Her project is part of LIMES, funded by the European Commission’s Marie-Curie COFUND programme.
In her research, Marie examines how language policies, language ideologies and language hierarchies mutually shape each other as well as toddlers’ linguistic socialisation, against the background of the region’s linguistic diversity. She does this by means of ethnography; combining long-term fieldwork in kindergartens, participant observation and interviews with a discourse analytical approach, drawing on interactional sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology.
Her wider research interests are (early) language socialisation in interaction, multilingualism in education, Second language acquisition in the context of linguistic diversity and migration.
Marie holds a M.Sc. Social and Cultural Anthropology from the University of Amsterdam and a B.A. in Cultural Studies with a minor in Educational Sciences from the University of Bremen.
Rickert, M. (2018, 29-9). Die produktive Schwelle. Zum Umgang mit Liminalität im Zweitsprachenunterricht. Interimstagung der AG Ethnologische Bildung der DGSKA. Teaching Anthropology, Universität Heidelberg.
- Rickert, M. (2020, 25-9). Learning how and when (not) to use (which) language(s). Toddlers’ language socialisation in day-cares at the southern German-Dutch border. 16. Sprachwissenschaftliche Tagung für Promotionsstudierende, University of Vienna. Vienna/online.
- Rickert, M., Cornips, L. (2021, 29-01). Meertaligheid en multimodale communicatie in de peuteropvang in Limburg. [Poster presentation] ‘Talige diversiteit in het onderwijs’, NHL Stenden Hogeschool. Leeuwarden/online.
- Rickert, M. (2021, 23-04). Singing as Doing. Pre-schoolers’ spontaneous use of songs in social interaction. VIOT Anéla Junior Researcher Day, University of Groningen, Groningen/online.
- Rickert, M., (2021, 09-06). Tuning in. How researchers’ language practices come to matter in the field. Sociolinguistic Symposium. University of Hong Kong. Hong Kong/online.
- Rickert, M. (2021, 05-07). Bidialectal pre-school: Enacting participation frames through linguistic and other semiotic means [poster presentation]. LOT summer school, KU Leuven/online.
- Rickert, M. (2021, 13-07). Bidialectal pre-school. Arranging interactional (non-)participation through linguistic and other semiotic means". [Paper on Thematic Section:The development of social meaning in heterogeneous speech communities.] International Symposium for Bilingualism, Warsaw University. Warsaw/online.
- Rickert, M. (2021, 30-07) ‘Who is the boss?’ Staging of conflicts in everyday acts of performance in the pre-school. [paper on Panel: Conflict and language socialization on preschool interactions]. International Pragmatics Conference (IPrA). Zürich University of Applied Sciences. Winterthur/online.
- Rickert, M. (in press). Categorization as Positioning Practice in a Dutch L2 classroom. Journal of Language, Identity and Education.