Dr Himani Bhakuni (H.)
Himani is the Assistant Professor of Justice in Global Health Research at University Medical Center, Utrecht University and Lecturer in Law at the Department of Foundations and Methods of Law at Maastricht University.
She completed her PhD at the University of Edinburgh in 2019 and received a joint doctorate from Tilburg University. She conducts interdisciplinary research within the broad-ranging field of Health, Law, and Society and publishes academic work within specific fields of Health Law, Bioethics, Global Health, Global Justice, and Human Rights. She has co-authored several institutional and policy reports on similar issues.
Before moving to Europe, Himani had worked as a litigating lawyer, had completed a judicial clerkship with a High Court Judge in India, and had worked with various human rights institutions and NGOs.
These days she lectures in law, global health, and related fields and occasionally provides research consultancies to international organizations and private consulting firms.
Research Interests: Global Health Law, Bioethics and Biolaw, Global Justice, Law and Development, Human Rights
Courses taught: Global Health and Human Rights, Global Justice; Legal Philosophy; States, Markets and European Integration; International Business Law; Intellectual Property Law; Legal Reasoning; Research Methods in Law; International Human Rights Law; Medical Law and Ethics
Professional career history
- Assistant Professor of Justice in Global Health Research (2020 - Present) [UMC, Utrecht University]
- Lecturer in Law (2019 - Present)
[Rotterdam Business School (2019); Maastricht University (2020 - Present)]
- PhD in Law (University of Edinburgh, 2019)
- Doctorate in Law (Tilburg University)
- Legal Research Consultant for International Organisations (Project-based, 2013 - Present)
- LL.M (cum laude) in International Law and Law of International Organisations (specialisation: Human Rights) (University of Groningen, 2013 - 2014)
- Advocate/Legal Practice (period active 2012 - 2015, one year disruption for judicial clerkship with a High Court Judge)
- B.A.L., LL.B (Christ College of Law, Bangalore University, 2007-2012)