Dr Eslam Nofal, Ph.D. (E.M.H.H.)
Eslam Nofal is a Postdoctoral Researcher in Digital Heriatge at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (Department of Technology and Society Studies) since October 2019. He is mainly working on Terra Mosana project, which aims to strengthen the tourist attractiveness of the Euregio Meuse-Rhine (EMR) and the sense of belonging to it through the digital exploitation of its cultural heritage.
Eslam's current research focuses on the utilization of digital technologies for achieving better communication and engagement of heritage artifacts and museum collections. He has an ample expertise in user studies in heritage environments, including co-design workshops and mixed-methods evaluation methodology such as observation, semi-structured interviews, sketching, and user experience questionnaires.
Prior to joining Maastricht University, Eslam received his PhD degree in Architecture from KU Leuven (University of Leuven, Belgium) in June 2019. His PhD thesis investigates how built heritage information can be communicated to visitors in more engaging, educational and meaningful ways. He presented the “Phygital Heritage” approach in which heritage information can be disclosed via simultaneous and integrated physical and digital means. Through a set of in-the-wild studies, interactive prototypes were designed and deployed in real-world heritage and museum environments to explore how the ‘Phygital’ approach facilitates the communication of built heritage information to museum visitors and how it affects user engagement.
Professional career history
- PhD in Architecture (Digital Heritage), Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering Science, KU Leuven, Belgium (2019).
- MSc in Management of Cultural Landscapes (Erasmus Mundus), a joint program between Université Jean Monnet, Saint-Etienne, France - Università Federico II, Naples, Italy - Universität Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany (2011).
- MSc in Architectural Restoration, Università degli studi della Sicilia Centrale Kore Enna, Sicily, Italy (2010).
- BA in Architectural Engineering, Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University, Egypt (2007).
- PhD researcher [January 2015 - June 2019], Research[x]Design, Department of Architectue, KU Leuven, Belgium.
- Assistant Lecturer [November 2007 - December 2014], Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University, Egypt.