Culture and Economy 1
The course explores the relationship between culture and economy with regard to three main topics: cultural industries, art markets and creative cities. In period 3, the Culture and Economy elective focuses on giving students theories and background knowledge that will allow them to critically understand and analyze these three topics. Particular attention will be given to the different theories of cultural ‘value’ that exist within critical cultural theory, art markets and cultural policy – and to the historical transformation of cultural industries, art markets and creative cities throughout the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Students learn how – in the late twentieth century – the creation and marketing of cultural products transformed from mass-industrial production (the culture industry) to economies of scope (cultural industries). We discuss economic challenges that the cultural industries face and how they deal with them. In this context, we also discuss the role of media convergence and digital participation (‘prosumption’). Moreover, we explore the historical development of the art market, the value-chain, the current players and institutions in the art market, and their strategies and positioning. Finally, we discuss the special role cultural industries play in urban development and critically examine advantages and disadvantages of this development.
Doelstellingen van dit vak
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand and theorize the relationship between culture and economy in the context of the cultural industries, art markets, and creative urbanism;
- Grasp and distinguish between different concepts and theories of cultural ‘value’;
- Identify and historically contextualize key challenges and trends within contemporary cultural industries, art markets and creative urbanism;
- Apply concepts and theories of culture and economy to examples and case studies of your choice;
- Build and substantiate in academic writing a critical argument on contemporary developments within the cultural industries, art markets and creative urbanism.
There are no pre-requisites for this module.
Hesmondhalgh, D. (2007). The cultural industries. London: Sage.
Duncan, D. & Raymond, R. (2016-20). Upstream podcast: Unlearn everything you learned about economics. Available at: https://www.upstreampodcast.org