Faculteit der Cultuur- en Maatschappijwetenschappen
The final requirement to obtain the MSc degree is to write a MSc thesis on a topic related to the curriculum. Students are expected to do a substantial amount of work on their theses throughout both years but especially during the last semester of the second year. The MSc thesis is an individually written piece of work of academic quality, aiming at publication in an academic journal. The thesis should present the conclusions of the research done in an academic and professional way. In preparation for the submission of the thesis regular meetings are organized, both between the student and the supervisor(s), as well as in group meetings to present and discuss work-in-progress.
Doelstellingen van dit vak
• demonstrate advanced and precise knowledge and understanding of aspects of European integration, as well as the theories and methods to study European integration as a process, as well as its limitations;
• be able to use relevant and appropriate concepts and theories;
• be able to apply appropriate analytical methods to the study of European integration;
• be able to formulate a relevant research question and to design, plan and implement an independent research project;
• be able to conduct an extensive review of relevant academic literature;
• be able to critically select and process data and to develop a level of abstraction that allows seeing beyond the data;
• achieve a balanced and critical interpretation of research results in comparison to existing knowledge;
• be able express ideas and findings in written English to an advanced level;
• can engage in a process of critical self-reflection and make constructive use of feedback from the thesis supervisor and from peers.