Institutions in EPH / Paper Semester 2
Students integrate their knowledge and insights by making an institutional analysis around a certain topic on the level of Europe and the interaction between the European and the national level. This institutional analysis should make them aware of bottlenecks and problems involved with policy making on the EU level. Content Students write a semester paper in which they integrate the institutional analyses applied to selected public health problems and show how these problems are tackled at the European institutions level and national member states level. The final semester paper is devoted to the analysis of certain EU policies and their reflection in the national practices integrating the knowledge on institutions acquired in the whole semester.
Doelstellingen van dit vak
Knowledge and understanding
- understand the concept institution
- understand theoretical approaches related to the concept of institution
- understanding the difference between an institution and organization.
Application of knowledge and understanding
- make a institutional analysis of a certain domain
- reflect on the feasibility of EU integrative policy in different health related areas
Communication and learning skills
- demonstrate improvement of English writing skills
- demonstrate the improvement of presentation skills
- to deal with feedback
Brand, H. 2010. From 'Public Health in Europe' to 'European Public Health'. European Journal of Public Health 20 (2):127-128. http://eurpub.oxfordjournals.org/content/20/2/127.full.pdf+html Greer,SL. (2009) The Politics of European Union health policies. New York: Open University Press. Greer, SL & Kurzer, P. (2013) European Union Public health Policy – Regional and global Trends. New York: Routledge.