Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle
The incidence of diabetes and obesity (diabesity) shows a rapid, worldwide increase. This block aims to acquire knowledge of all aspects of diabetes and obesity in a “cell to society approach”. Pathophysiological mechanisms, the effect of diabesity on tissues and organs as well as the interaction between nutrition, genes, and inflammation will be discussed. In addition, the block pays ample attention to the risk factors of developing diabesity and the options to influence the lifestyle of people suffering from diabesity. Finally, the optimal treatment of people with diabesity will be covered.
Doelstellingen van dit vak
medicamentous treatment of diabetes/obesity (with focus on molecular pathways) lifestyle interventions:
- intervention principles, diabetes-specific interventions
- Treatment of diabetes/obesitymicrovascular and macrovascular disease
- Consequences of diabetes/obesityrelationship between energy intake, metabolism and movement
- Energy balanceinteraction between food, inflammation, and environment
- lipid and disturbed fat metabolism in diabetes
- glucose balance, including the mechanism of insulin, and insulin resistance
- Pathophysiologyetc.)risk factors of developing diabetes and obesity (socioeconomic background, lifestyle,
- differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the genetic subtypes
- worldwideIncidence/prevalence and expected increase of type 2 diabetes and obesity
- Epidemiologyhow do different lifestyles worldwide affect the occurrence of DM2?
- behaviour and interaction with causes of unhealthiness
- what is lifestyle other than isolated behaviours?